Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to get a round in week before last while visiting my parents. First time touching a club since around the same time last year. Started birdie,par,bogey,birdie...went downhill from there but ended up shooting 90 after starting the back on an 8.
Since grip has been mentioned recently, here's what a bad grip will do (this was one round on this glove, and it started tearing around 11)
20201215_143632[1].jpg

I played again yesterday, same course (Woodland Hills) same tees (seniors), and had a nice, enjoyable round. The seniors' group (usually 8 to 10 guys) my friend plays in invited me into their game of skins and "greenies" and joked that they may have to negotiate down my tentative handicap (I netted 3 dollars). My iron play is still a work in progress my chipping sucked,( I putted everything I could from way off the green), but drove the ball ok and made some putts.

Should I mention that the long layoff has actually improved my course management skills? Probably not, the golf gods may be listening, but I used to go for every pin, now I don't hesitate to bail out to the safe side.

I really like the "new" irons I was trying out, (well worn Mizuno MP-60, circa 2007 or thereabouts, too cheap on ebay to pass up). Now, if I can just hit them on the course the way I do on the driving range . . .

I played again yesterday, same course (Woodland Hills) same tees (seniors), and had a nice, enjoyable round. The seniors' group (usually 8 to 10 guys) my friend plays in invited me into their game of skins and "greenies" and joked that they may have to negotiate down my tentative handicap (I netted 3 dollars). My iron play is still a work in progress my chipping sucked,( I putted everything I could from way off the green), but drove the ball ok and made some putts.

Should I mention that the long layoff has actually improved my course management skills? Probably not, the golf gods may be listening, but I used to go for every pin, now I don't hesitate to bail out to the safe side.

I really like the "new" irons I was trying out, (well worn Mizuno MP-60, circa 2007 or thereabouts, too cheap on ebay to pass up). Now, if I can just hit them on the course the way I do on the driving range . . .

Have you considered one of these? It is GREAT for me from within 20 yds of green.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/love-golf.626122/post-8825864

I found that as well. My first game back in July [5 year layoff, 1-2 rounds/year for the years before then] I just took 5 iron off every tee except obviously the par 3s. I did a great job keeping the ball in play. I had a round this past weekend where the 9th hole is a short par 4 (~315 yards), but you have to either carry 220 off the tee or the smarter play is to lay up WELL short of a creek to avoid a downhill lie. I played that hole with a PW off the tee and a 5 iron into the green, and made bogey with a chance at a reasonable par putt (~14 feet and mostly flat). If I'd pulled driver off the tee I might have had the exact same chance at par/bogey, but a MUCH higher likelihood of a ball in the hazard, OOB, in the 1st fairway, etc.

"Range me" could damn near break 80 lol!

I found that as well. My first game back in July [5 year layoff, 1-2 rounds/year for the years before then] I just took 5 iron off every tee except obviously the par 3s. I did a great job keeping the ball in play.

I didn't carry a fairway wood in my bag, that helped my decision making process and probably saved me a couple of strokes, since I would have been tempted to go for at least one par 5.

I've played with a bad grip and made compensations because of it, but I'm determined now to do things the easy way. A proper grip simplifies the swing.

This is a reach but you've all got me intrigued with your approaches to grip. Some if you may know this already but in kenjutsu or kendo (any Japanese swordsmanship with two-hand grip. Iaido, the "way of the draw," typically gets there, but starts with an explosive, simultaneous draw-cut with right hand, usually finished with one or more two-handed "finishing strikes" or when encountering multiple armed opponents), the emphasis is a kind of "squeezing" the sword, something like a wet towel, hands "screwing in" towards each other to say it clumsily, base knuckles of both index fingers lining up more or less along the rear of the tsuka or handle, in line with the mune or rear/spine of the blade. The index fingers extend slightly forward, as if "joining" the blade itself. Unlike a chopping instrument, you cut more with the feeling drawing and extending, something like fly-casting - slicing through the arc. The strength is really in your pinkies through your right and middle, with the indexes quite loose, floating almost. Your power is through the left hand and your guidance is through the right. This is all rough approximation.

Any comparisons with any of the grip approaches you're discussing?

The strength is really in your pinkies through your right and middle, with the indexes quite loose, floating almost. Your power is through the left hand and your guidance is through the right. This is all rough approximation.

Any comparisons with any of the grip approaches you're discussing?

Most golf instructors would not argue with Ben Hogan that the left hand grip is mostly felt in the pinkie and two middle fingers, the right hand grip mostly in the middle two fingers. (He preached that power was in the right hand, but that the right hand would take over too soon if the grip was wrong). Hogan had a drill where he'd swing the club with his right thumb and index finger off the club to minimize their influence. His first book, Five Lessons, the Modern Fundamentals of Golf, had several pages and a lot of detail devoted to the grip and most of it holds up, but there are some top players today that fall outside the range that Hogan would have recommended. (Dustin Johnson's done ok with a strong right hand grip. He's the number 1 player in the world).

To be clear, unconventional grips can work, as long as the wrists are hinging properly and the clubhead is delivered back to the ball the same on every swing. But most instructors would not know how to help you if your unconventional style stopped working. Paul Azinger had (at the time) what was considered a crazy strong left hand grip and was lucky enough to go to an instructor that realized it worked for Paul's swing. The instructor (I don't remember who it was) told Paul that he'd only take him as a student if he did NOT change his grip.

Golf is a frustrating sport...

After posting a +18 on Sunday, I managed to throw down a ridiculous 109, +37, yesterday. Ten 3-putts (!) and didn't par a single hole. My only redeeming points were actually making birdie on one par 3 due to a perfect shot leaving me a 4 footer, and that despite how horrific my day was, I managed only bogey on the #1 handicap hole on the course.

I was generally hitting the ball well, so the fault lies with my short game... A few times I was in bunkers and took two strokes to get out, a few flubbed chips or pitches that went over the green or left me with terrible putts, and then of course the aforementioned 3-putts.

Oh well, the beer still tasted good, and I got some good exercise out of it. I walked all 18, and when I got home took the dog for an additional walk because I'd left him home so long, so according to my watch I walked over 14 miles yesterday.

Unfortunately, despite not having a flare-up of tennis elbow in either round, yesterday on the back nine I had an attack of golfer's elbow. Sore today...

Just curious, but anyone golf Half Moon Bay?

I've been to HMB many times, hiked and biked the area, from the town to pillar point. Never played that golf course though. But this incredibly odd structure (my pic below, with neice in background) is on the backside of the hotel property, right against the surf.

1609459394194.png

My son caved in the face of his fairway wood today. Anyone have experience with something like this? WTF. I'll take a picture and post, but I'm wondering how that can happen.
Hitting it too hard. I believe most metal "woods" and drivers are actually hollow.

Brew on :mug:

My son caved in the face of his fairway wood today. Anyone have experience with something like this? WTF. I'll take a picture and post, but I'm wondering how that can happen.
I've seen all kind of failures in the new metals. If they're a top brand send a nicely worded email to them. You'd be shocked at how often they'll replace it even due to operator error. I'm a lefty and one time at a driving range next to bozos one of the guys entered my area and I snapped my shaft. I sent an email to Calloway describing what happened and asked what type of shaft it was so I could buy a new one. They sent a while new driver with apologies.

I've seen heads shattered, dented and holed.

As another note there's tons of counterfeit stuff out there.

I've seen all kind of failures in the new metals. If they're a top brand send a nicely worded email to them. You'd be shocked at how often they'll replace it even due to operator error. I'm a lefty and one time at a driving range next to bozos one of the guys entered my area and I snapped my shaft. I sent an email to Calloway describing what happened and asked what type of shaft it was so I could buy a new one. They sent a while new driver with apologies.

I've seen heads shattered, dented and holed.

As another note there's tons of counterfeit stuff out there.

Well, who knows. It's a TaylorMade club. Looks legit. Original head/shaft/grip. I'll take your advice and send them a note.

1609475446363.png

1609475541452.png

1609475560482.png

Carlton ritz?

Sorry Andy, I don't know if this applies, but a course in CA. I don't golf and haven't been, but one of my older brothers said my dad used to golf it. I just know there's a hole with a shot that actually spans an ocean inlet, which I thought was pretty cool.

I've been to HMB many times, hiked and biked the area, from the town to pillar point. Never played that golf course though. But this incredibly odd structure (my pic below, with neice in background) is on the backside of the hotel property, right against the surf.

View attachment 712562

Whoops, didn't look up. Very cool in a bizarre way!

View attachment 712562

Looking at it more closely, pier ruins?

I was trying to be "gracious".

Of course, you could ask how I know😁.

I've got a soft natural draw from 5 iron to gap wedge. Long irons and woods are something else. After professional fitting from a Top 100 Golf Digest pro, numerous lessons, and a week-long game improvement course, I at least learned what I was doing wrong but was never able to fix it. My schedule allowed me to play 3-4 times per week but only got my index down to 14. Respectable but not great.

Then the age related aches and pains started. Now I haven't played more than 3 rounds in the last two years. Torn rotator cuff (no surgery, but 6 weeks physical therapy), persistent pain in my left wrist (another 6 weeks PT last Thanksgiving to New Year's), the Covid lock down. I miss it a lot, but don't know how to get back in the game.

The next door neighbor (avid golfer) keeps trying to get me out on the links, but he and his group are competitive and good. I know I'd have to press to keep up even if my game was 'on'.

2021 Resolution- Get back on the links.

Brooo Brother

2021 Resolution- Get back on the links.

Brooo Brother

My resolution last year was to play more golf. Check! I'll bet I played > 50 rounds in 2020.

Consider playing alone. Play twilight time (3 hrs before sunset). Play 2 balls, one aggressive (say, yellow ball) and one conservative.

Get a cart, walk the course, call it exercise. Join a club where you can get cheap rounds, play as often as possible. Doesn't matter if the course is bad, you're working on your stroke. Leave your golf gear in the trunk so you can just jump in and go at a moment's notice. That's what I do. I don't even call, just jump in my car and go around the corner to the course. I guess I'm lucky, lots of golf in FL. This is what I do.

My resolution last year was to play more golf. Check! I'll bet I played > 50 rounds in 2020.

Consider playing alone. Play twilight time (3 hrs before sunset). Play 2 balls, one aggressive (say, yellow ball) and one conservative.

Get a cart, walk the course, call it exercise. Join a club where you can get cheap rounds, play as often as possible. Doesn't matter if the course is bad, you're working on your stroke. Leave your golf gear in the trunk so you can just jump in and go at a moment's notice. That's what I do. I don't even call, just jump in my car and go around the corner to the course. I guess I'm lucky, lots of golf in FL. This is what I do.
Absolutely. When my playing was at its most frequent, my work schedule and my wife's were at opposite extremes. I had a lot of free daytime during the week and played mid- mornings with random pairings or by myself. Seldom had to wait or play through, and finish 18 holes in under 3 hours.

Then we both retired and started traveling, so golf took a back seat to only once or twice a month. This year, brewing has been front and center. Hope to get back to golf as well as the gym, and re-establish some balance to life this year.

Brooo Brother

Used to always take my clubs when we'd visit St. Pete. I liked Seminole for an easy round, but my low-handicap son in law wants more of a challenge. His Dad and brothers (Sarasota) are always up for a match as well.

Keep an eye out during the springtime where the usga gives one free lesson. Youd benefit with getting a couple of good drills. Doesn't look bad but the takeaway has a little bit too much rotation. It looks like it comes together but the twisting at the beginning may increase unpredictability. Plus cover the ball on follow thru. That'll be 2¢ please.

Thanks. I think one of the things I'm doing is letting my hips move forward into the ball causing me to stall on the downswing. Need to keep my hips back in line with where they started.

From the Athletic Motion Golf youtube channel they talk about this creating a spacing and timing issue where you have to almost pull the club up to keep from driving it into the turf. With those hips moved toward the ball, you don't have room for your swing. This makes mishits of all types (thin, fat, shank) common, and it's incredibly inconsistent which one you'll get because of timing.

Which is pretty much common for me... I don't know if I'm going to hit fat or thin on any given shot. And one shot I took video of (not posted) I clearly hit fat, closed the clubface, and hooked the crap out of it.

Theres a couple of small things like hips, stance and feet which I chaulk up to practice and consistency. The thing is to make it repeatable. There's a little bit of a flip that the takeaway and covering will start to force the core and hips into place. They always talk about extending on your backswing. That would stop the early rotation and slight flipping

Last edited:
Took my son (13, just bought him clubs for Christmas) to the range for the first time yesterday. Which means it gave me the perfect chance to have someone slow-motion video my swing for me lol...

Now I just need to figure out what to improve...

Not a bad looking swing at all. Could straighten his posture (spine) at address. That would help to keep him on plane throughout his swing. I think he starts a little steep, corrects nicely mid swing but probably loses power at contact. More pronation and snap thru contact will give him longer drives. Nice follow through. Looks much more athletic than the average 13 year old. How long has he been playing? Looks like he's got game!

Brooo Brother

Took my son (13, just bought him clubs for Christmas) to the range for the first time yesterday. Which means it gave me the perfect chance to have someone slow-motion video my swing for me lol...

Now I just need to figure out what to improve...

You've got a swing you can work with. Nice. Your swing is probably more photogenic than mine at the moment. I would add one thing to the Dude's remarks (which are spot on). That much sway on the backswing can make timing the downswing more difficult (ask me how I know, I used to get the weight all the way to the outside of my back foot, even when my handicap was a 6).

For me, the cure was to follow advice from an old, grainy video that Mac O'Grady put out years ago. Instead of actively trying to change what the legs, hips, head, etc. are doing, focus on the golf ball. Not a glance. Not with your peripheral vision. Actively focus on the ball, maybe even a spot on the ball. Your eyes tell your body where it is in space.

Sounds like clickbait ("try this one weird trick") and YMMV, but you will know within 3 or 4 swings whether it's working, without trying any crazy new feels/swing keys, etc.

Good points. I always have 3 things that I work on. 1) keep your head still 2) lead with the front arm 3) alignment

Like Kee says #1 keep your head on the ball. Keep taking videos. If you look at the front view you have a tiny sway backwards. Majority of people actually dip and your sway in reality isn't that bad. However, swaying backwards won't aid in closing and covering over the ball. Leading to less distance and probably a slice. It's also why you have the feeling you have to flip a little.

I'm old school. There was a recent time where the pros dipped their heads and squated to explode up on the ball. That's good if you practice 8 hrs a day. Pros have recently backed away from this technique. So there is no final answer :)

I like the Hogan tips. Thinking there's a rod from your head down to your hips in which you keep your head still and rotate around the bar. That way you don't have a lot of timing to worry about.

This is just advice and you just need a couple of adjustments. I think that freebie lesson would help plus the young one recording you to reassure yourself

Back