Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going out to arrowhead this morning, ill send some pics from there. Rate was 80 today, but we have the rain checks from before. Super stoked.

I know you guys have seen arrowhead before but it never gets old. I didn't play any good my brother-in-law shot 77. He was 7 over and I was 12 over. It was a great time.
20191116_112354(0).jpeg
20191116_102236.jpeg
20191116_102242.jpeg
20191116_105941.jpeg
20191116_105946.jpeg
20191116_110328.jpeg

^^when it ends up there, is it over? Here we play through winter with a heater and cart cover. Its the best. Quick rounds and open courses and cheap times. The days where its like a ping pong table suck. I try to play the conditions, my friend likes to ricochet shots off the middle of the green into impossible places. Haha, I hate playing well in the winter usually it means short miss hits worked out. Good shot go flying.
Give credit to my club they're trying to stay open as long as possible. Closing use to be set on the money situation. We've been getting a lot of frost lately. There are courses that will stay open as long as there's no snow. Oddly I usually head north to NH to a couple of family run courses. RI also have courses that stay open year round.

Played yesterday in shorts on a course close to the ocean. Wind picks up later on in the day tho. Played well. Ice on the ponds
IMG_20191115_140731.jpeg

71! Well, two-man scramble, we hit one under par for the day at Westchase GC. We had a pretty great day out there and killed it, no mulligans or any nonsense.

My buddy and I played against one of my boys (in pic below) and his friend. The old guys beat the young guys by 3 strokes, haha.

upload_2019-11-21_13-29-10.png

Cramming in as much golf before the season ends.

Haha, funny, I'm thinking about ramping up to three rounds a week (MWF) until spring. I've got a course down the street that has a nice deal if you don't mind playing afternoons. I work from home and have a (very) flexible schedule :)

I might get a push cart, just to get some walking in during a round. I'm looking at the following - anybody have any comments on carts? BTW, I played a morning round a couple of months ago where two ladies tee'd off in front of our foursome. They were walking. I complained to the starter that they shouldn't let people walk in the morning, which might hold up the show. Well, those ladies hauled azz through that course. We didn't see them after hole 2. Cart pushers actually are suprisingly quick on a course, compared to those riding in the powered ones.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B0NSUA...colid=YEOGXPFLHR9S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

upload_2019-11-22_20-17-21.png

I have a Bag Boy and it's the best money I've spent in years. I've used it so much I may need to replace the tires soon. I'd be curious to find out how many miles I've trekked.

The quickest people are the bag carriers. The push carts may not get everywhere someone on foot can get but as cart people let me pass I say "how can you let a fat old guy pass you :)"

Clic Gear seems to be the other favorite. I found mine on sale and after comparing mine has a rotating front wheel but I don't think u can go wrong with either. Plus there's a bunch of extra attachments to make it even more enjoyable. I'm guessing being in the sunshine state having an umbrella attachment to protect you from the sun would be good.

I miss carrying but my back is f'd up and at least carting gets me the excercise. I've contemplated the robot cart but I'm happy hoofing it. I'm also curious about trying the Segway cart. There's a couple of courses around here that rent them

EDIT: I think I got this one for $159 as we have crazy sales in the off season. I don't think not having a swivel front wheel is that big a deal as u can just pop up the front wheel and twist. Locking and unlocking the wheels is probably the most important feature. Plus being compact enough to fit in the trunk of your car. I can fold mine and carry inside a golf cart if I get a ride

https://www.amazon.com/Bag-Boy-TriS...1&keywords=bag+boy+cart&qid=1574473067&sr=8-5

Last edited:
Cant go wrong with clicgear.

I walk all my rounds and got a clic bc I was worried that carrying was bad for my back. Folds up easy, lots of useful attachments, and seems like it would last forever.

Despite that, I almost never use it now. I find it easier to carry--especially uphill--and slightly less convenient when finding a place to put it, or trying to get around an obstacle I might otherwise walk over. But if carrying hurts your back, or you're going from cart to walking, its definitely worth it.

Cant go wrong with clicgear.

I walk all my rounds and got a clic bc I was worried that carrying was bad for my back. Folds up easy, lots of useful attachments, and seems like it would last forever.

Despite that, I almost never use it now. I find it easier to carry--especially uphill--and slightly less convenient when finding a place to put it, or trying to get around an obstacle I might otherwise walk over. But if carrying hurts your back, or you're going from cart to walking, its definitely worth it.

I "suddenly" had a bad back 7 or 8 yrs ago. Since then, I am pretty careful about lifting stuff. I don't think I'd carry my bag. Besides, I have a legless bag that's really meant for carts.

I recently saw a guy with a powered cart - it was rolling about 10 feet in front of him. That was pretty nifty. If someone gave me one of those I would not return it :)

Last edited:
That right, great weather....keeps em off. People always think I am weird when I am excited it starts raining. I am hoping for people to quit.
Cramming in as much golf before the season ends. 40's, cloudy, windy and on and off rain. Great weather! Keep the people off the course.

Cold front finally made it's way in as I leftView attachment 653633

My in laws gave me their old electric and haha, I am too cheap to splash out the 70 for the new battery it needs. I got a sun mountain at a garage sale for 20 dollars or whatever. My buddy got his on craigslist. I see those clic gears and others and they are nice. I enjoy the walk.

I carried for years, but its the green area that sucked for me. Put bag down, hit chip. Pick bag up, put down and chip again, pick up, walk to green and put down. Its the constant picking up and putting down that got old. No shame in push cart and I dont see myself carrying ever again. With a dozen balls, a six pack and clubs, carrying can get heavy quick. It made me drink beer quick so I could off some weight :). You will likely be happy with anything that rolls.
I "suddenly" had a bad back 7 or 8 yrs ago. Since then, I am pretty careful about lifting stuff. I don't think I'd carry my bag. Besides, I have a legless bag that's really meant for carts.

I recently saw a guy with a powered cart - it was rolling about 10 feet in front of him. That was pretty nifty. If someone gave me one of those I would not return it :)

Tell of two 9s, i am hoping I am coming out of this slump. Hadnt slumped in years so cant really complain to much. Used to slump once a year, now its every few years. 9 hole exec that you loop. Fun enough, cheap and quick. Marriot grand vista orlando. There are some real nice looking courses here for less than 50. The second hole 1st time hit 6 iron from 175 skimmed water and skipped over. Second 9 hit 7 iron onto green. Here are the 2 birdie shots, if you zoom you can see ball. Divots pointing a little left. They should be a little left but not too much. I am probably coming over it a little. Look at this long divot. Glad I am coming through the zone square (divot is width of club) but i held the club on the path way to long. Cant take divots like this too often on our firm colorado soil. Finished 3 more over for 3 over on "back".
20191123_162329.jpeg
20191123_155334.jpeg
20191123_160810.jpeg
20191123_143837.jpeg
20191123_141951.jpeg
20191123_151154.jpeg

Thats the one my bro got on craigslist, think mine is a pinch older. His cubby broke, should tell him to ask them for replacement. Mine has air tires but they have an upgrade kit for 20 or whatever. Need to do that. I have put it through hell since I got it. I could recommend for sure, but the clic gears look more impressive whatever thats worth.
Back to golf carts...consider Sun Mountain. The customer service is second to none. They will replace any part no questions asked

https://shop.sunmountain.com/speed-cart-gx-detail

18SMOM2019SPDCRTGCRT_Big_Sky_Blue

Clic Gear is bulkier but I don’t think it’s better. It certainly doesn’t fold up as easy as the Sunmountain

I'm playing in the morning. Woot!

Thoughts on rangefinders / electronic assistants?
  • I have a buddy who has this little golf watch that shows him the distance to the green. It seems SO danged useful.
  • I've another buddy who has a fairly expensive rangefinder. > $300. It's very accurate, and will tell him the distance to the flag, but first you have to be able to see the flag, and it's big and bulky - he walks into the fairway with it, then tosses it onto the grass when he hits. You can guess how that story will end. Also, it doesn't show the course and certainly is no help in keeping score.
  • I occasionally use a nifty phone app called Hole 19. Works great, but it means I'm playing with my phone all the time, which I try to avoid while golfing. I certainly don't want it in my pocket when I'm golfing.
I'm going to put the Garmin S60 golf watch on my xmas list. Seems like a very cool gadget. Here's a link if anyone is curious.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07237NH19/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_red4DbK5KQQEM

upload_2019-11-28_15-40-9.png

I am playing too, just east of you! My fil and I have a bet, he doesnt think I can break a 100 from the tips. I should have put more on it. That said 7200 yards or whatever it is, will be challenging at sea level. Everyone who knows me knows I can hit a 6 iron better than a sand wedge so we shall see.

I own a garmin watch. Gift from said fil. I have never golfed with a watch on so that wasnt going to work. I strap it to my bag and check as I pull my club. Problem is, its another thing to charge. I had a golf neo, now golf buddy and same...so now I have been using apps for years. They measure the courses from google maps. They are fairly accurate, but iirc skycaddie did and does (?) walk the courses with markers for more accurate info. My opinion, for me is to use app, but if you will use the watch daily and or have no problem charging they are nice.

With the watch its always on and sometimes myself, and others, are to lazy to check phone every shot, with watch you just look down, its always there. The binocular type have come a looooong way and I want one for range practice and they are handy for shooting different targets on course. Always wondered why some people had both, but I get it now. Would be nice for practice for sure. Best of luck tomorrow.
I'm playing in the morning. Woot!

Thoughts on rangefinders / electronic assistants?
  • I have a buddy who has this little golf watch that shows him the distance to the green. It seems SO danged useful.
  • I've another buddy who has a fairly expensive rangefinder. > $300. It's very accurate, and will tell him the distance to the flag, but first you have to be able to see the flag, and it's big and bulky - he walks into the fairway with it, then tosses it onto the grass when he hits. You can guess how that story will end. Also, it doesn't show the course and certainly is no help in keeping score.
  • I occasionally use a nifty phone app called Hole 19. Works great, but it means I'm playing with my phone all the time, which I try to avoid while golfing. I certainly don't want it in my pocket when I'm golfing.
I'm going to put the Garmin S60 golf watch on my xmas list. Seems like a very cool gadget. Here's a link if anyone is curious.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07237NH19/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_red4DbK5KQQEM

View attachment 654594

I have a costco range finder that works great. I think it was $129. I'd highly recommend it.

I also have a garmin vivoactive 3 with a golf app. Advantage of that over the golf specific watch is that I can use it on runs, at the gym, and for general smart watch functionality.

I'd take a laser over gps any day of the week.

I use Golfshot Plus app. It’s like $30. Syncs to my Apple Watch and I have distances right on my wrist. You can buy an annual subscription for more features but the basic app has everything you need

I use GolfLogix. The free app just tell distance to the center but also will keep score and some stats depending on what you want to enter. Premium is $30/year and gives front/center/back with a movable cursor that shows distance to/over hazards. GPS is pretty accurate but occasionally slow to lock in. I love the stats feature. I track score, putts, fairways hit, gir and calculates handicap. It’ll do way more stats than I want to mess with.

Golfshot stats. You get this info without a subscription. Quite a lot of information for free.
IMG_0055.JPG

Last edited:
I use GolfLogix. The free app just tell distance to the center but also will keep score and some stats depending on what you want to enter. Premium is $30/year and gives front/center/back with a movable cursor that shows distance to/over hazards. GPS is pretty accurate but occasionally slow to lock in. I love the stats feature. I track score, putts, fairways hit, gir and calculates handicap. It’ll do way more stats than I want to mess with.
I'm sure that the "time to fix" ("lock in") is a function of the GPS hardware in your phone, and not controlled in any way by any app that uses the GPS. No app is going to write it's own GPS driver code, as it's trivial to just use the system function that tells you what the current location is.

Brew on :mug:

I'm sure that the "time to fix" ("lock in") is a function of the GPS hardware in your phone, and not controlled in any way by any app that uses the GPS. No app is going to write it's own GPS driver code, as it's trivial to just use the system function that tells you what the current location is.

Right. Btw, I have written that driver code - it's easier than you'd think, as all the data is available in a standard format - NMEA sentences. All GNSS receivers support this output format.

FWIW I've owned a few golf GPS devices and have friends with them. Some areas of some holes are always problematic with getting an accurate distance quickly.

We blame it on topography and trees. Some of the courses around here are cut out of forest with large elevation changes.

Certainly possible, but seemed to happen on the iPhone 5 about as much as the iPhone 7 I have now. I’ve always thought it might be an issue with gps signal strength at a particular location but have no tech info to back that up.
It’s a pretty rare occurrence and since it’s a rare occurrence that I hit my shot the distance I’m supposed to, everything works out in the end.

Regripped my irons today, they really needed it, old ones were super slick. I got the Winn midsize dritac, they feel great, probably save some strokes.

Did you use compressed air to slide the new grips on, or slide on with isopropyl alcohol?

I actually was on amazon for grips and found the dritac grips, but only had blue ones. I wanted black so I just went to the seller and got black for less money and the solvent and tape to answer your question.

Back