Love Golf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all gotta see this complete duff shot...

Cheers! (totally SFW - and hilarious!)

Not a duff. Apparently it is traditional during practice rounds at Augusta to try and skip a ball across the pond at #16. Puting the ball in the hole is not so traditional.

Brew on :mug:

I'm with ya. Actually suppose to get close to 80 here today. Last week 6" of snow and temps in the teens. View attachment 705680View attachment 705681

What course is that? Reminds me of one I played a bunch years ago in Uxbridge maybe?

I'm lucky if I get out a couple times a year, so any practice and lessons will likely go for naught here.
|As long as I'm still in double digits, rather than triple, I consider it a sucessful round. (|'m reminded of an old comic strip where someone's playing golf, someone else says, 'now let me get this straight; the fewer shots you take, the better you're doing?' the first says, 'yup.' the second then says, 'well then, why do it at all?')
I di try to hit the range every so often, and what someone above mentioned seems to work - vary your clubs - driver - iron - wedge, etc.
I think my problem is, I always try to kill the ball - swing out of my shoes at 110%. As long as I keep in mind to swing easy, I do better. Also, I have a bad habit of locking my knees when I stand; I have to keep that in mind or I slice every shot.
|I do want to try to get out before the courses close down for the winter, but we'll see.

Shooting in the double digits isn't bad. You'd be in the 55 percentile.

That course is Atkinson Country Club. Just over the border in NH. A nice big complex with a good pro and crew. I won a couple of tournaments there. It can bite you in the arse in windy days. It has a sweet practice facility for members at the back of the range. Basically a bar with fireplace and a bunch of swing analysis/aids and bays to hit balls during the winter. Good place to hang out in Jan and Feb.

Just had a storm go through (my weather station says we got > 6" yesterday). Course was cart path only, which means totally empty course. RIPPED through it.

Was a bit damp, and you want to avoid the bunkers.

1605223524990.png

It essentially is. Unless you can find a point of relief in that bunker that's no closer to the hole, you need to take a penalty stroke and drop behind the bunker, just like a water hazard.

What hazard? Home boy just drops it into the center of the green with his lob - yo :rock:

1605233635024.png

Won't be many days like this north in Maine. All signalled by the salted back roads on the early drive thru the woods and marshes

Two of the guys in my group made it within 3' of the pin. One almost holed it. I 2 putted for par off the fringe just past that bunker on the left. Damn lefty tendencies! Let's just say the 3 of us walked off the green -1 😱

Another nice attraction is the ocean is 15 minutes away with good seafood or another 15 to Tributary Brewery and Mott the Lessor. This brewer created Harpoons IPA recipe along with many other great brews. Great character to talk to. Got down to the low 20's that night. Brrrr ( is it wrong my phone autocorrected brrrr with Brett?)
IMG_20201114_115324.jpg
IMG_20201114_163311.jpg

Last edited:
It’s very likely you’re practicing bad habits. Invest in a lesson or two.
I don't know how much it costs to get a lesson with 3-D imaging, but I love watching these videos.

This was huge BTW. I didn't invest in a "lesson", but my local clubfitter was offering a free 30 minute swing evaluation, and I took them up on it. They have indoor simulator bays that are fully equipped with video and a Trackman. It's obviously not 3-D imaging, but it's a lot more than any lesson I've had before.

Having grown up playing golf, and having had parents who invested in lessons when I was younger, my golf swing is actually rather close to "textbook". Which isn't to say I'm a good golfer, but that I've got the basic mechanics of a "good" golf swing. But I knew I must be practicing incorrectly, because while I could still hit a lot of really good shots on the range, practicing more wasn't making me more consistent.

So he and I talked about essentially my normal shot, what I was having trouble with, and specifically where my common "misses" went--usually either a long straight pull left, or a high fade right.

He had me hit a couple shots after warming up, and after about the fourth shot he was able to show me exactly what I was doing wrong. With the video and the computer setup, he was able to draw lines on the video showing swing plane/etc and see everything in slow motion through all parts of the swing.

Address, setup, body position was great. Takeaway and backswing were perfectly on plane--but at the very end of the backswing, I was over-rotating and getting my hands too high. Too correct for that, I was starting my downswing WAY too steep, causing an outside-in path through the ball. Which causes a long pull if you close the face or a high fade if you don't get it closed it in time. And because the swing was so steep, the natural inclination is to try to pull up and out of the swing to keep from driving the club straight into the turf, and the timing on that is so hard to do consistently that it leads to a lot of thin or fat shots--again with no consistency.

So all he did was get me to focus on getting my backswing to stay on plane at the end and not over-rotate it, and to focus on keeping the downswing on plane. Just that change got me swinging neutral to inside-out, but I was still pushing everything to the right. A slight adjustment to strengthen my left hand grip, and I was hitting perfectly with a slight draw tendency.

What I really liked about this, being an engineer, is that between video and Trackman I could correlate what I *thought* I was doing with what I was *actually* doing. And the Trackman can measure swing path, face angle, and clubhead speed, in addition to all the characteristics of the ball at launch (speed/angle/spin/etc). So when I was warming up, the Trackman was showing the outside-in swing path and as I made swing adjustments, I could see exactly how it was changing. Then I could see what the video showed in addition to what I felt, and all of it came together.

I got some range time Saturday morning to practice that before playing yesterday. It still needs some work, but I was hitting the ball much more consistently on the course yesterday. I even felt good enough to pull out the driver, and hit two of three drives perfectly. (Oddly, the one I duffed was the only hole of the three that I made par.)

So yeah, I advocate for lessons, and while I didn't have access to 3-D imaging, the video+Trackman setup was far better than anything I've ever had in the past.

A lot of people are kidding themselves though and their swing wont ever work, and or they dont play or practice enough and yet want better results.

Well, it depends on your definition of "work". One of the guys I played with yesterday had a pretty ugly swing. (Actually, two did, but one was a good player and one was a duffer). It wasn't good rotation, he was visibly lifting his shoulders through his backswing and dropping them during his downswing into impact, etc.

He beat me by about 12 strokes, IIRC. While his swing didn't look like it would "work", he hit the ball consistently in the direction and of the length he expected.

I think my swing has a higher "ceiling" as to what I can do. Distance and launch trajectory for me are better on all clubs. But that's not what gets you a low score. Hitting where you aim is a heck of a lot more important.

. . . my local clubfitter was offering a free 30 minute swing evaluation, and I took them up on it. They have indoor simulator bays that are fully equipped with video and a Trackman.

What I really liked about this, being an engineer, is that between video and Trackman I could correlate what I *thought* I was doing with what I was *actually* doing.

So yeah, I advocate for lessons . . . the video+Trackman setup was far better than anything I've ever had in the past.

Well, it depends on your definition of "work". One of the guys I played with . . . hit the ball consistently in the direction and of the length he expected.

I think my swing has a higher "ceiling" as to what I can do.

Someday I'll have to find a place with a simulator or imaging equipment. It's a given that none of us are doing exactly what we think we are in the swing, and video alone (while helpful) is limited. Sure, there are golf instructors that have a "good eye" and do just fine without the new technology, but many more are not so gifted.

Funny you mention closing the clubface. That's something I always thought happened automatically, at least since I was a rank beginner, but since I started back I've been leaving the clubface wide open on some shots. Then, a couple of days ago, in one of the Athletic Motion Golf videos, the instructor mentioned that, at least at first, closing the clubface with the hands might have to be a conscious thought. But I can see that maybe just slightly strengthening the left hand grip may be enough of a cue. The less swing thoughts the better.

I hit a bucket of balls at the range this morning, and the good shots/bad shots ratio is improving, at least slightly, but my bad shots aren't just bad, they are terrible. It's a work in progress.

Replaced the spikes on my golf shoes. These were impossible to turn with the little prong tool, so I drilled out the center (see drilled holes in second pic) and pulled them out with needle nose plyers. Easy, worked perfectly. Maybe there's some secret to doing this, but I tend to throw power tools at everything first :)

1605657060450.png

1605657066712.png

1605657115936.png

Just bought new shoes. My old shoes felt like the wrong size... Because they were. 12 wide instead of 13 wide.

Got some New Balance golf shoes, which fit us wide feet folks, in the correct 13 2E size. Makes walking 18 much more bearable.

They're spikeless though, so when I start wearing out the tread I guess I'll just have to buy a new pair...

Got out Tuesday for 16.5 holes (hit a bunker on the #15, said screw it and just jumped to the 17 - don't like the 16 hole).

Pic below is my tee shot - landed in the drop area :) Might as well have hit it into the water (not pictured, on left).

One of the little advantages of walking a course is that you find a TON of balls. I bet I pick up 10 or 20 every time I play. Hard to see, but the ones I found on this round are in the net bag under the handle of my cart. And that's just the 8th hole! I take them home, drop them in a bucket, and on the weekend I fill it with oxyclean solution and soak overnight to get them sparkly. My boys and I never buy balls.

1605799062850.png

One of the little advantages of walking a course is that you find a TON of balls. I bet I pick up 10 or 20 every time I play. Hard to see, but the ones I found on this round are in the net bag under the handle of my cart. And that's just the 8th hole! I take them home, drop them in a bucket, and on the weekend I fill it with oxyclean solution and soak overnight to get them sparkly. My boys and I never buy balls.

Sometimes I'm surprised by how many I find... And WHERE I find some of them... I find balls in areas that it's hard to imagine they were lost--I found one in the fairway last round.

Threw that to one of my playing partners though, because it was a red ball and I'm colorblind, so I'd probably lose that one in the fairway myself. I'm surprised I even spotted it.

But it's always nice when I find more balls than I lose in a round lol.

Got out Tuesday for 16.5 holes (hit a bunker on the #15, said screw it and just jumped to the 17 - don't like the 16 hole).

Pic below is my tee shot - landed in the drop area :) Might as well have hit it into the water (not pictured, on left).

View attachment 707106

I've only had that experience on courses where the 1%ers play. Us lowly folks hunt forever for our $4 golf balls! 😄

Tiger, asked how he regulated his little wedge shot.

Tiger: I feel it all in my hands, so I just slow my hands down.

EDIT: Jason Day: Can you just, like, explain things like a normal person?

Last edited:
Tiger, asked how he regulated his little wedge shot.

Tiger: I feel it all in my hands, so I just slow my hands down.

DJ Rahm (I think he was the one) Can you just, like, explain things like a normal person?

Jason Day asked him. I tried to get something out of those comments and just wasn't sure what Tiger was talking about. I do have a new wedge I've been hitting lately.

Man I want to get out this weekend. Gooooooooolf on the brain.

Jason Day asked him. I tried to get something out of those comments and just wasn't sure what Tiger was talking about. I do have a new wedge I've been hitting lately.

Thanks for the correction. Yea, when Tiger talks about the golf swing I often need a translator. It's cool to hear Jason echo what I'm thinking. Tiger is no doubt capable of clearly explaining what he means, but I don't think that golf instruction will ever be his thing.

Took advantage of another warm Saturday to get out on the course. Had a nice round right up to the last hole when the group of asshats behind us started hitting into our group. All four of them hit within 20 yards of us as we hit our approach shots, then they were kind enough to wait for me to hole out and start walking off the green before the first ball came flying in.

Took advantage of another warm Saturday to get out on the course. Had a nice round right up to the last hole when the group of asshats behind us started hitting into our group. All four of them hit within 20 yards of us as we hit our approach shots, then they were kind enough to wait for me to hole out and start walking off the green before the first ball came flying in.

I've only had that happen a few times. Sadly, I did it myself this evening. Drove into a par 4 but had an usually good tee shot, to the fringe around the green. Party ahead was up there on the green, must have seen my ball roll up there. I was a bit ashamed and avoided eye contact :) Purely an accident, normally I don't drive that far. (still bogied the hole)

I've only had that happen a few times. Sadly, I did it myself this evening. Drove into a par 4 but had an usually good tee shot, to the fringe around the green. Party ahead was up there on the green, must have seen my ball roll up there. I was a bit ashamed and avoided eye contact :) Purely an accident, normally I don't drive that far. (still bogied the hole)

I could have forgiven the shots that came close while we were still on the fairway, but hitting the green while I'm still standing on it had me very tempted to pick up that ball and take it with me.

Still pushing it in the Northeast. Courses are still packed with n00bs. Got close to 60 yesterday. Late fall sun makes it tough to track the ball.

I usually like hitting the range. This year I think I've spent a total of 45 minutes practicing including putting. Best year of driving the ball. Irons? So so. Putting not bad.
IMG_20201121_135602.jpg
IMG_20201121_133902.jpg
IMG_20201121_132844.jpg
IMG_20201121_132838.jpg
IMG_20201121_130452.jpg
IMG_20201121_123838.jpg
IMG_20201121_122218.jpg

Still pushing it in the Northeast. Courses are still packed with n00bs. Got close to 60 yesterday. Late fall sun makes it tough to track the ball.

I usually like hitting the range. This year I think I've spent a total of 45 minutes practicing including putting. Best year of driving the ball. Irons? So so. Putting not bad.View attachment 707455View attachment 707456View attachment 707457View attachment 707458View attachment 707459View attachment 707460View attachment 707462

that par 3 over the quarry (?) looks dangerous. Looks like a fun course! Just got off the course at sundown, and I've got a 9:06am tee time for tomorrow haha. My youngest boy beat me my 4 strokes tonight, but tomorrow we'll see.

Just had a storm go through (my weather station says we got > 6" yesterday). Course was cart path only, which means totally empty course. RIPPED through it.

Was a bit damp, and you want to avoid the bunkers.

View attachment 706341
Love the cart, Clic is the Cadillac of carts. I love mine!

I could have forgiven the shots that came close while we were still on the fairway, but hitting the green while I'm still standing on it had me very tempted to pick up that ball and take it with me.
Anyone ever hits into my green on the fly, gets personal attention from me with a drive back to where they are. I don’t tolerate that on the course. I’ve left the course more than once in my career with grass stains.

Well, I hit the range on Thanksgiving, played Friday and Saturday, and now my left forearm hurts like a motha. It's mostly swinging the driver that cause it to hurt.

Son tells me it's tennis elbow. Gotta take a break for a while - week or two away from the course, ugh. Not sure I'll make it. Maybe find a putt-putt somewhere haha.

Well, I hit the range on Thanksgiving, played Friday and Saturday, and now my left forearm hurts like a motha. It's mostly swinging the driver that cause it to hurt.

Son tells me it's tennis elbow. Gotta take a break for a while - week or two away from the course, ugh. Not sure I'll make it. Maybe find a putt-putt somewhere haha.

Get yourself some Voltaren gel. It used to be prescription but it's now OTC. It's a topical NSAID, and it does really well. I found it at Costco at a reasonable price for more than I'll probably use in a while.

I developed tennis elbow playing tug-of-war with the puppy after we got him, and one of the guys on this forum suggested it. I'd been dealing with tennis elbow for almost a month, and it went away in about 3-4 days with the gel.

Latest posts

Back