Loud noises near fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arwelsh

Reaction score
I feel like this is a ridiculous question but one I must ask. Does loud noise near a fermenter effect the yeast at all? I'm not talking like ground shaking noise but just noise alone.

I'm doing research this summer and it has provided me with the luxury of working from home about 4 days a week until grad school kicks back up. I'm getting ready to brew my 2nd batch ever (first was in december and it came out fantastic but my living arraignments until the beg of this month prevented me from having confidence in my brewing process) and I tend to rock out a good bit during the day. Additionally a lot of afternoons I've been known to fill the room with sounds of video games.

Has anyone ever had noise make a noticeable impact on fermentation? Specifically someone who has brewed a lot in consistent conditions ever notice an outlier associated with the absence/presence of noise?

After a search of the boards I just found threads on noises produced by fermentation.

I'm pretty sure yeast only multiply properly if you play them Al Green music.

Don't worry about it. The only way you will bother the yeast is if you dance so wildly that you fall into the fermenter.

Your worry would be producing a shockwave/soundwave strong enough to damage the cells. I dont even think the sound produced by a jet engine (~140db) is strong enough to do that.

So no worries

I don't have any way to prove this, but I am convinced that playing AC/DC to my beer makes it better...

just outside the fermentation shed is a 4-53 detroit irrigation pump with old leaky "just for show farm mufflers". it sometimes runs full bore all day.

There may be a point where shockwaves/soundwaves injure yeast cells, but I think you'd have to try real hard to get there or even test for it.

your yeast will be ok.

I don't have any way to prove this, but I am convinced that playing AC/DC to my beer makes it better...

Well good! Mine will probably get a solid dose of anything from Led Zeppelin to Kanye to Sam Cooke to OutKast to Passion Pit to Bach to Killer Mike all the way on over to Miles Davis.

On a similar note, I noticed that the atmosphere has a lot of oxygen in it. I mean, it's mostly nitrogen and whatnot, but there is some oxygen. Will this oxidize my beer if I keep my windows open?

there is probably a frequency which will disturb fermentation, but if you can hear it that means it is 20Hz - 20kHz, which means it will not hurt the fermentation. DC does not have a frequency, AC is 60 Hz. The frequency which could pose a threat would be something like cell phone or more, but more than 3 watts. In other words, it is highly unlikely anything can disturb it. Constant cell phone exposure does make me think though, those things are crazy powerful.

BoomerHarley said:
Totally mocking you. But not trying to be mean, just having fun.

I mean I prefaced it with it being a ridiculous question. Think it's fair though. After all- music effects plant growth and under the right conditions sound can be used as a refrigeration device (it is by Ben and Jerry's if I'm not mistaken).

Your question was whether or not loud noise would effect yeast and fermentation. I think the consensus here is that there would be no negative effect. However, there's no telling if some music might actually help. Give it a try. Make a mini experiment out of it and lets us know the results. If you get better attenuation with music, you might be on to something.

I remember as a kid watching TV the Millbrook Bakery would advertise bread baked to music. When we would walk by the place, beside the wonderful aroma we could hear the music.

I mean I prefaced it with it being a ridiculous question. Think it's fair though. After all- music effects plant growth and under the right conditions sound can be used as a refrigeration device (it is by Ben and Jerry's if I'm not mistaken).

I know dude, I was just having some fun.

Here's an idea. Selecting the best pairings for brew and food is becoming popular.....how about adding appropriate music selection...for example, sea shanties and IPA's!

I actually keep a swamp cooler under the window ac in my jam room, right behind the drums with a half stack facing it all and have had no problems.

Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Thunderstruck is fine; lightstruck is not.

I remember reading an old historic document which discussed the effect of lightening strikes on beer. Back in the good old days in merry old England many larger fermentation vessels were on roof tops. Apparently lightening struck is not a good thing either.

I remember reading an old historic document which discussed the effect of lightening strikes on beer. Back in the good old days in merry old England many larger fermentation vessels were on roof tops. Apparently lightening struck is not a good thing either.

Now that's a solid piece of information right there. I'll keep that in mind!

I feel like this is a ridiculous question but one I must ask. Does loud noise near a fermenter effect the yeast at all?

Has anyone ever had noise make a noticeable impact on fermentation?
After a search of the boards I just found threads on noises produced by fermentation.
Here is all the info you need;)
http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2011/03/austrian-winemaker-trials-fermentation-by-music/

http://www.regularwino.com/articles/sonor-wines-say-music-makes-wine-taste-better/

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I looked up this subject only because I noticed something. I have 5 gallons of brown ale in secondary, about 20 feet from my drums, directly in the line of fire of my 18" x 24" kick drum. For the last week or so, there have been a few tiny bubbles floating on the surface of the beer. Then, after beating on the drums for about an hour yesterday, today I noticed a lot more tiny bubbles. I think that if anything, the yeast likes the noise! I'm glad someone finally appreciates it.

Back