Lots of Sludge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eferinga

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I just transferred one of my Abby Ales into the Carboy and was wondering as to why the Belgain Ale Yeast multiplied so much. I know that the Wort was packed with sugars (special b, and crystal) but would 1 pound (together) of those alone make about 2 gallons of sludge?

The total amount was a little over 5 gallons, and I only extracted around 3 gallons of actual beer from the 1st fermentation. The rest was sludge.

This is just a curiosity question more than anything. I'm trying to learn everything I can about the science of Brewing.

Thank you and Happy Brewing!

I have never heard of that much trub! You didn't ferment the beer with the grains in the fermenter did you?

Thinking that something else is going on here. 2 gallons of trub is crazy. Was the last 2 gallons maybe just really cloudy?

I know! I did an all grain brew, filtered it as much as I could through my lauter tun. I did have fruit in there but I've brewed end of boil fruit before but I have never had this much.

Its not just really cloudy, after 7 days in the primary I switched it to the carboy and was wondering why I could only extract about 3 gallons. Turns out it is all trub or sludge.

I also would list the OG and what not but as I was about to take the reading it slipped out of my hand, fell a foot, and broke....damn things.

Back