Lots of questions for first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher40

Reaction score
I will be starting my first batch next weekend. I have a few questions.I will be making Hank's Hefeweizen form Midwest.

1. I friend told me I should toss in Irish Moss the last 15 mins. Of the boil. With a Hefeweizen don't I want some cloudiness in the beer?

2. I am using a liquid yeast (White Labs Hefe 300). Is it a good idea to do a yeast starter. If so, could someone explaine exactly how I go about this.

3. I am going to try and do this in a full boil. My pot is a turkey fryer pot (30 qt), I will be filling it to 6 gallons after steeping to allow for 5 gallons at the end of boil. Should I use Fermdrops to control the boil over, or just boil 5 gallons and replace the lost water with cold water in the Fermenter?.

Lots of question I know , but I need to get this right.

1. I'd throw some in, as it should be sufficiently cloudy from yeast in solution. Really doesn't matter much though with this style.

2. Depends on the gravity. If it is generally below 1.060 (which it should be for this style) then I wouldn't bother.

3. I like to use fermcap and hit my preboil volume as close as possible. Either way it won't really matter.

I will be starting my first batch next weekend. I have a few questions.I will be making Hank's Hefeweizen form Midwest.

1. I friend told me I should toss in Irish Moss the last 15 mins. Of the boil. With a Hefeweizen don't I want some cloudiness in the beer?

2. I am using a liquid yeast (White Labs Hefe 300). Is it a good idea to do a yeast starter. If so, could someone explaine exactly how I go about this.

3. I am going to try and do this in a full boil. My pot is a turkey fryer pot (30 qt), I will be filling it to 6 gallons after steeping to allow for 5 gallons at the end of boil. Should I use Fermdrops to control the boil over, or just boil 5 gallons and replace the lost water with cold water in the Fermenter?.

Lots of question I know , but I need to get this right.
1- Irish Moss removes a protein that also contributes to staling. Your Hef will still be cloudy if you use it.
If you don't have a wort chiller, I personally would recommend it.

2- Not necessary with Liquid yeast for a low gravity Hef. Just get your vile out when you start brewing and allow it to get to room temp so it's an easier transition after cooling.

3- Replace lost water with cold.
The wort will only try to boil over once and that will be when you add the wort to the heat after stirring in your malt extract. As long as you keep an eye on it, the hot break is easy to control.

It's always a good idea to make a yeast starter, if anything to make sure your yeasties are alive and kicking. However, if your OG is low enough it might not be necessary.

Back