Lots of excess grain in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdzitter

Reaction score
Did my first biab all grain batch on Saturday. Due to a number of knuklehead maneuvers I ended up spilling approx 1/3rd of my grain bill into the wort after mashing. I went ahead and brewed it up anyway and of course lost a bunch to trub...but hey at least its beer.

How will this mistake negatively impact the final product?

Tannin extraction from boiling grain. If you get a bitterness akin to unsweetened tea you have tannins.

I had something similar happen....it will be fine. Best to drink it promptly after carbing is done. Those tannin's are more noticeable as time goes by.

Did my first biab all grain batch on Saturday. Due to a number of knuklehead maneuvers I ended up spilling approx 1/3rd of my grain bill into the wort after mashing. I went ahead and brewed it up anyway and of course lost a bunch to trub...but hey at least its beer.

How will this mistake negatively impact the final product?

Probably not at all. Your wort should have been at a low enough pH to avoid tannin extraction. For your next brew that this happens to, pour your wort with all the grains that spilled into it into a bucket, empty out the grains from the bag and set it back into the pot and pour the grainy wort back through it to separate out the grains.

Had a similar event happen when brewing with a friend. We siphoned what we could into a separate bucket, and back to the brew pot, and carried on.

Came with a great name though: Bob's Big Dump!

It was an experiment with Maris Otter, and a hop schedule I got from somewhere on here. I mashed a little on the hot side, and it came out tasting almost exactly like orange juice. Very interesting effect and I am super happy we made it.

Back