lost power for 3 days temp dropped a lot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L0stm4n

Reaction score
Friday a tornado ripped through my town and missed me by about a half mile. It did obliterate the substation my apartment was connected to. I ran out and got a 20lb bag of ice and tossed it in with my beer. I have 10 gallons of Kolsch and 5 of cream ale in my fridge. 5 gallons of Kolsch is fermenting with Wyeast 2565 the other 5 is with a german lager dry yeast packet. I also have a cream ale I put on top of my kolsch yeast cake after transfering the kolsch to a secondary. These have been fermenting for about a month(kolsch) and 2 weeks(cream) at 63 degrees. When the power went out I ran out and picked up a 20 lb bag of ice and tossed it in the fridge. This worked better than expected and dropped the temp down to 53. The power came back on last night but I figured before I did another temp change I would ask here. Fermentation appears complete and I'm ready to bottle sometime this week. Should I just leave it cold and bottle at the lower temp or should I raise it up some before bottling? Should I drop it further for a "cold crash"? After bottling the bottles will condition at around 68 in the basement.

I would make sure it is finished fermenting before you bottle. If needed, remove from the fridge and allow to warm up as it may start fermentation again. I wouldn't worry about cold-crashing.

Back