"Lost" Oktoberfest found.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long story short, found a batch of Oktoberfest that I brewed last year in the fermentation chamber. It has been in there since May last year. Yes sadly I have not made it into that corner for over a year due a botched renovation and 3 2 yr old boys consuming my time.

Surprisingly the 3 peice airlock was not dry (not full and sealing the bottom holes either). The fridge has been plug and the temp control is set for 40 degrees.

I didn't pull it out to ge a good look at it, but it didn't look like anything was growing on it.

Guess the question is should I even think of trying to keg and drink it?

What are the risks of having it on the yeast that long?

Thanks all

Guess the question is should I even think of trying to keg and drink it?

What are the risks of having it on the yeast that long?

There is a chance that you have yeast autolysis but that is pretty rare at the homebrew quantity of beer. Pull a hydrometer sample to see where it ended and smell/taste that. If it smells/tastes good, get that into a keg. It could be one of your best beers.

All of the above is my guess, too. I would doubt you have yeast autolysis given that it's been in cold conditioning the entire time, so you've probably just been lagering for a year. Get it into a keg and ready for THIS year's Oktoberfest at the end of September!

Of course I advise pulling a sample as others have mentioned.

All of the above is my guess, too. I would doubt you have yeast autolysis given that it's been in cold conditioning the entire time, so you've probably just been lagering for a year. Get it into a keg and ready for THIS year's Oktoberfest at the end of September!

Of course I advise pulling a sample as others have mentioned.

And another after it has been kegged for a few days....and another....

Taste it!

And take gravity measurements 3 days apart to make sure it's finished.

Literally LOL'd at work... thanks for almost getting me busted!

... Yes sadly I have not made it into that corner for over a year due a botched renovation and 3 2 yr old boys consuming my time.

Thanks all

Woah, my hat's off to you. I have twins and highly recommend it, but that's my limit. triplets? no thank you!

Well, just pulled it out.
20190807_222736.jpg
Tough to make out what is on the top through the plastic.
20190807_222745.jpg
But that might be mold?
20190807_222837.jpg

Thoughts?

Pulled a sample.

Smells ok, but I have a poor sense of smell. Gave it a sip, and it is ok. Probably would be better once carbed but I am not going to find out.

I think it is a bit oxidized from the air lock drying out not to mention the mold (I think).

Definitely not worth kegging at this point.

The color indicates it was probably mold. Good call dumping it.

Hope you can find the time to brew something good soon. :)

I was hoping to see that it had been fermented in glass. Sadly in plastic it didn't stand a chance. Ah well, better brew another eh?

Back