Lost carboy plug in carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm1

Reaction score
Well just lost my bung in to the inside of my carboy. Just wondering if I should remove it or let be until after the primary fermentation is done?

Leave it. Too big of a hassle to extract from a full carboy, plus you risk adding more oxygen and infection hazard by dicking around with it.

It isn't lost. You know exactly where it is. (Sorry about that). I would just leave it in there. It is to late to prevent infection if it wasn't sanitized, but the risk of infection is small. Trying to get it out now would have a greater risk of infecting your beer.

Definitely leave it until you siphon the beer out. Then use the bag method to remove it when empty

This happened to us last time we brewed. We tried everything to get it out right away, to no avail. Finally gave up, let it ferment and easily got it out by using the bag trick after it finished fermenting and the beer was siphoned. The beer turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Go to youtube and search " remove a cork from a wine bottle " you won't believe it works, this might help! :)

Of course after you rack your brew off

Back