Losing gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goaliemanpat

Reaction score
I am still new to brewing and kegging so if this is a dumb question I am sorry. I have had one keg for a while but yesterday I decided to expand to two as I had two drinks I wanted to bring with me camping this weekend. I get the keg cleaned and fill it with my drink. I plug the gas in and notice that it seems gas is leaking through the top the first 5 seconds or so that Im filling until it gets a decent pressure in there and pushes the lid up. Now its sealed now so Im not to worried but I am worried about the pressure dropping enough that it all a sudden rushes out. Should I look into getting a new top or is this normal? My other keg never seemed to have this issue. They are both pin lock kegs.

Normal. Wipe some keg lube around the ring and seal the keg by cranking your CO2 up. I go as high as 50psi to ensure a good seal

Ok. So I shouldn't have any issues then when I drop it down to 10-12 for serving? Thanks for the quick response.

Some of mine do that, and I've never had a problem with them. I crank them up to force carb, and they are fine when the pressure comes back down.

Also as you put the gas on it lift the keg up by the latch so the full weight of the keg is squishing that o ring. I have a couple that need fresh lube and pulling every time.

Back