Lorena and the Brazilians

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, anyone who's been in the chat knows about my friendliness. Apparantly, bout 7 years ago I signed up on a site named globalfreeloaders.com. I got an email on Monday from a young man named Henrique from Brazil, who is very nice. He and his brother came to stay with us this weekend:
DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0112.jpg

Well, we had two bottles of wine with dinner- a blackberry wine, and a chokecherry wine (which is really better than it sounds) and then some alt homebrews.

I cooked a venison dinner (venison stroganoff with noodles) for them- they were stunned that we would eat "deer meat" since apparently they don't have many deer in Brazil! It was great. And Henrique loves alt! Pedro likes the wine. The first picture is of the younger Pedro, and Henrique is drinking beer with me in the second.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
what an awesome web site

I wasn't familiar with globalfreeloaders, but I had a friend who frequently hosted 'strangers' through http://www.couchsurfing.com

He always had fun showing folks around town, and took advantage of others' hospitality when he traveled.

A brazzillian is only two? It sounds like a lot more. I suppose you can now say you have a brazzillian bedrooms in your house. Or you could say a brazzillion people have tried you homebrew! Or you could say, 'Fingers, you're druck. Go to bed.'

Dude said:
So...Yoop...did you hit it?

Well, wouldn't you like to know!!!!

They were wonderful people and we're hoping to get together with them again sometime, either here or in Brazil. I learned so much about their lives and culture, and I had them very interested in homebrewing. One wants to open a LHBS in Sao Paulo now! Henrique is on globafreeloaders. com and couchsurfing.com (http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/HENRIQUE BR)

It was a great experience- and I recommend everyone give this a try! We now have two more fantastic friends! And I think my 18 year old daughter is in love.........

Thats cool Yoop. I think more people should do that.
I have met and done things with lots of people I met on the internet. Living up here in BFE thats the easiest way to meet people that do not live in your town. Many of the guys I fish with were met on the Great Lakes Angler forum.

Bobby_M said:
That is nuts. Seriously. I'm afraid to pick up a hitchhiker nevermind let strangers into my house. Well, I let Ollllo into my house but that was an exception.

i kind of agree.... i'd be keeping my 18yo under lock and key at that point :D altho I'm sure that's just me being a Dad and never wanting anyone to touch my daughter.

i'm very leary of other people I don't know... and i doubt I could trust someone well enough to let them couch surf into my house...

thumbsup yoop for being more brave than I am!

Oh, by the way- there were some little "strange" things as they were leaving. First of all, they were wonderful people, and we became lifelong friends. As they were leaving, we were hugging and saying goodbye, and there is a little sign at our house with each family members name on a snowman. So, they were joking that we need more snowmen on our sign and have to add Pedro and Henrique since they are now part of the family.

I said that I would love to see where they live sometime. Henrique ran to Google Earth to show me. Well, they also pulled up their maternal family name, too. Their middle names (the mothers last name) are Ala Tara. On google earth, their street name came up. They live on Lorena St. in Sao Paolo.

My daughter's name is Tara, and my name is Lorena.

I was shocked. It was like some very strange cosmic coincidence. I asked them if they realized that- and Henrique said yes that he had realized it right away but forgot to mention it. That's why they felt safe coming to couch surf with us. That it must have been ok. That was the first time they've ever done this, although Henrique has tried to do it before. It was the first time we'd ever done it, too.

Anyway, I thought I'd just share the strangest part of the whole experience!

YooperBrew said:
Oh, by the way- there were some little "strange" things as they were leaving. First of all, they were wonderful people, and we became lifelong friends. As they were leaving, we were hugging and saying goodbye, and there is a little sign at our house with each family members name on a snowman. So, they were joking that we need more snowmen on our sign and have to add Pedro and Henrique since they are now part of the family.

I said that I would love to see where they live sometime. Henrique ran to Google Earth to show me. Well, they also pulled up their maternal family name, too. Their middle names (the mothers last name) are Ala Tara. On google earth, their street name came up. They live on Lorena St. in Sao Paolo.

My daughter's name is Tara, and my name is Lorena.

I was shocked. It was like some very strange cosmic coincidence. I asked them if they realized that- and Henrique said yes that he had realized it right away but forgot to mention it. That's why they felt safe coming to couch surf with us. That it must have been ok. That was the first time they've ever done this, although Henrique has tried to do it before. It was the first time we'd ever done it, too.

Anyway, I thought I'd just share the strangest part of the whole experience!

Ok now that's fuggin weird :cross:

Back