loosing ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-U-K-E

Reaction score
so i put 5gl of apple juice 2lbs of sugar, and yeast in my carboy, and three weeks later things were going well. abv of 4.5, grav of 1.011. I decided to wait another week to make sure the grav didn't keep faling. well its now a week later, and i just opened it to take a grav reading.

Thats when the crap hit the fan. The Abv was barely .5 and the grav was barely 1. i took multiple readings, a couple of hours apart, and even one from the bottom of the carboy...

WHATS GOING ON??

oh and its warm in my house so there isnt a big temp conversion problem....

HELP!

The ABV reading on hydrometers are worthless. The only way to calculate ABV is by comparing the starting SG and the final SG. There is an equation for this but I am to lazy to look. Go to www.howtobrew.com. I know its on there somewhere.

The ABV reads are potential, not actual. By the time cider ferments out the potential for more alcohol is zero. Your original reading would have been the maximum potential.

oh, wow, ok....so a very low fg is expected then....right now its at about 1.000?

Formula is Origional Gravity Minus Final Gravity Times 1.3

So if you started at....1.065 (Where My Apfelwein started) and now you are at 1.00:
1.065-1.000 = .065
.065 x 1.3 = .0845

To convert to % Move decimal 2 places to the right..so:
.0845 means you have 8.45% ABV.
Ed Wort says to leave it for 4 weeks MINIMUM, and 8 is better.

RELAX...It's gonna be good. If you don't believe us...look at the 2900 others that love it...or the fact that today there has been: 4916 Gallons made...One Post I read..the guy didn't like it.

Back