Lookslike mud... what is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I'm brewing my third all-grain batch using BIAB method and I always notice some kind of mud at the bottom of my fermenter. What is it? Is it normal? It's not yeast as my yeast is currently floating on top of my beer! Picture below:

mud_.jpg

PS: On the picture, it's a Ginger Beer 24hr after pitching the yeast. I think I pitched when the wort was too hot and most of the yeast died... However the airlock is bubbling, so I hope in the next 24hr everything will be fine!

The mud is called trub. It's coagulated proteins from the malt. Sometimes there is also hops mixed in. It's very much normal.

I think you've somehow created some sort of malevolent entity. It's not safe to drink. You probably shouldn't even have it inside your house.

Oh now I understand. Thank you! So the trub is normal, but i'm supposed to leave it in the brew pot.. Might explain why my last batches had no head at all and a poor carbonation..?

Today I transfered the wort into another vessel, and later I flushed the trub down the toilet! Also I pitched another pack of fresh yeast.

Oh now I understand. Thank you! So the trub is normal, but i'm supposed to leave it in the brew pot.. Might explain why my last batches had no head at all and a poor carbonation..?

Today I transfered the wort into another vessel, and later I flushed the trub down the toilet! Also I pitched another pack of fresh yeast.

It's really nothing to worry about. I would not go crazy trying to keep the trub out of the fermenter. It has virtually zero effect on the finished beer.

Are you bottling? You need to add a little sugar to get the yeast oto make just enough carbondioxide to give the head. There are charts for the right amounts for different beers. It's approximately 3 Tbsp per 5 gallon batch I think Ad it and tir it in right when you are bottling. Look up your style please.

I siphon my beer off to a new pot for bottling and try to leave as much trub behind as I can. Try not to stir in too much oxygen when your dewcant to the other container - that will avoid oxidation.

Hope this helps.

If you were transferring to a secondary clarifying vessel then no yeast is needed. By the time you transfer you should be at your final gravity and the beer is basically done.

As said above the only time you need to add anything after the fermentation is done is at time of bottling. And to clarify what maida7 said above, when he says sugar he means corn sugar...not table sugar! And I also believe he means 4oz not 4Tbsp...

Don't worry about being a beginner...you'll get there!

Back