Looking to make a Session Pale Ale (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVlamis82

Reaction score
I'm looking to make sessionable pale ale, I really like the Citra hop and was planning on going with straight Citra. Here's what I was thinking, any constructive critiques are welcome!

5.5 Gallon batch
3 Gallon boil

Est. OG 1.054
Est. FG 1.019
ABV 4.58%
IBU 55

6.6 lbs Amber LME
1 lb Maltodextrine (15 min)
1 whirl floc tablet (10 min)

Steeping Grains

1 lb Caramel/Crystal 40
1 lb American Pale Ale

Hop Schedule
1 oz Citra 60min
.5 oz Citra 30 min
.5 oz Citra 20 min
1 oz Citra 10 min
2 oz Citra- Dry Hopped 7 Days

Yeast- Wyeast American Ale Yeast 1056

Definitely drop all of the maltodextrine. That's out of place in a pale ale. 1.019 would be way to high of an fg for a pale ale. It would end up too thick and sweet.

That's also kind of a lot of hops for a session pale ale. It might be good if you're going for more of a session IPA though.

Oh I would also just use light extract. You can get all your flavor and color from the steeping grains.

Have you used maltodextrine before? It's a thickener, meaning that it will create a very "thick" beer. Between that and the amber LME (which has crystal malt in it), this should be a full bodied beer. I wouldn't think I could drink more than one of these, so while it might be low ABV, I wouldn't consider it "sessionable".

I'd definitely ditch the amber LME and the maltodextrine. I'd use pale extract or light or extra light DME, and a pound of crystal 40L if you want some sweetness and color. That should still give you a mediumish body for the final beer, but it won't be thick like gravy. I'd add half of the extract at flame out to help reduce the darkening and the "cooked extract" taste.

I'd change up the hopping, and leave out the 30 minute hops totally. I'd do something like this:

3 pounds extra light DME (or pale LME if you have to use liquid)
1 pound crystal 40L
3 pounds extra light DME (flame out) (or 3.6 pounds LME if using liquid)
1 oz Citra 60min
1 oz Citra 15 min
1 oz Citra 5 min
1 oz Citra- Dry Hopped 7 Days

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely utilize the info. I've never used the Maltodextrine before, but I read that it's good for increasing the body in lower abv beers. But it looks like the consensus here is to forget about it.

Also, I've never used Pale Ale Malt but I think it's more of a base malt. I wouldn't steep it because it needs to be converted with a mash, and I don't think you would get that much flavor out of 1 lb of it. Again, I've never used it but this would be my opinion from what I've read about it. If you want some extra maltiness you can steep 0.25-0.5 lb of aromatic or if you wanted more of a toastiness you could go with Victory. Or replace one of your 3.3 lb LME cans with Munich LME for added maltiness. My preference would be the Munich LME.

Is there a "sweet spot" for dry hopping, as far as time? I've heard 7,10, and 14 days. Wondering what the general consensus is.

I would say 7-10 days max. I think recently people have started to say that even shorter is better. Like 3-5 days. I haven't tried it out though. 7 days has always worked well for me. I've heard that around 14 days you start pulling out a grassy vegetal flavor.

Back