Looking to do a black cherry soda and then keg it to dispense on my kegerator...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiMike

Reaction score
So I am thinking it may be fun over the holiday break to make some black cherry soda with the family and dispense on our kegerator. My kids are in a STEM school and love science and are intrigued with the beer brewing process but they dont sample it for obvious reasons.

I brew extract beer now, any ideas on where to find an extract kit for black cherry cola?

This may be obvious, but soda dispenses at a higher pressure than beer, so if you also plan on having beer on tap you'll need a secondary regulator to allow the different serving pressures. Looks like you can also bottle it and naturally carbonate which is something I never thought of. Whatever you do, please post a follow up with results. Good luck.

Soda Flavors (kegoutlet.com)
Soda Bases - Homebrew Supply

This may be obvious, but soda dispenses at a higher pressure than beer, so if you also plan on having beer on tap you'll need a secondary regulator to allow the different serving pressures. Looks like you can also bottle it and naturally carbonate which is something I never thought of. Whatever you do, please post a follow up with results. Good luck.

Soda Flavors (kegoutlet.com)
Soda Bases - Homebrew Supply
Yes, currently I have a dual tap kegerator with a taprite 2 product 2 pressure regulator so I am able to have each tap at different pressures. That was one of the upgrades I requested when purchasing the kegerator.

I will say I have used the Homebrew Cherry Soda extract. Be warned, it is Cherry soda not Cherry Cola. It has a slight medicinal taste to it, like cherry robitussin but without the alcohol. Most everyone who has been drinking off of the Homebrew Cherry Soda extract has really hated it. I have tried it twice with the same result and I am dumping out the rest of what I have of it this week and making my prized Melon Soda instead. If you're making it from natural ingredients or some other brand of extract, then give it a whirl. Unless another brand of extract is better.

I was reading and it may have deflated my sails as it says you need to have seperate lines, hookup as the flavors can stick around in the lines and tap.

Not sure if thats the same for Eva Barrier lines and SS shanks and taps...

I was reading and it may have deflated my sails as it says you need to have seperate lines, hookup as the flavors can stick around in the lines and tap.

Not sure if thats the same for Eva Barrier lines and SS shanks and taps...
Flavor carryover is no worse with soda than beer in my experience. Really strong ones may, but most don't have this issue. I recommend skipping the extract and making from scratch. Make a simple syrup and add natural flavoring. Not sure if you can get fresh black cherries now, but canned puree will probably work too.

Back