Looking to clone Not Your Father's Root Beer (Small Town Brewery)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure it is worth brewing this anymore. There are pallets of it in every single store and they are almost giving it away now. Probably not worth the time and money unless you are doing it just to say you can do it.

Isn't this true for beer in general?

I attempted to brew this per my recipe above. It was by far the worst tasting wort and beer I've ever made. That being said, I had some attenuation issues. Also the Rootbeer spices I used in the boil did not taste well. If I was going to attempt this again I would try it based on a Dopplebock recipe.

It's still $10 per 6 pack or $36 for a 24 pack (at Costco). $1.50 for a can? Time for a recipe.

SWMBO has been asking for me to brew a batch this. What are the results from the most recent attempts?

Has anyone actually tried reaching out to the Brewer to see if they're friendly to the idea of sharing? I'll give it a go and see what I come up with.

Do you mind sharing the all grain recipe once you convert? Id like to try brewing this one as well.

I finally got around to making this. After I converted the recipe to all grain, I decided it wasn't going to work at all. The dark extract they used would have too much roastiness for the root beer extract to cover up. I used this instead:

4 lb Munich
5 lb 2 row
1 lb C-20
1 lb lactose
enough hops at 60 min. to reach 15 ibu

When I racked to secondary I added 6 grams of sweetener and the root beer extract. Tasted it a week later, the root beer flavor was weak and it wasn't nearly sweet enough. I then added a second pack of root beer extract and 24 grams of sweetener. Tried it a few days later and it seems pretty good. It's carbonating now and I'm going to tap it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I finally got around to making this. After I converted the recipe to all grain, I decided it wasn't going to work at all. The dark extract they used would have too much roastiness for the root beer extract to cover up. I used this instead:

4 lb Munich
5 lb 2 row
1 lb C-20
1 lb lactose
enough hops at 60 min. to reach 15 ibu

When I racked to secondary I added 6 grams of sweetener and the root beer extract. Tasted it a week later, the root beer flavor was weak and it wasn't nearly sweet enough. I then added a second pack of root beer extract and 24 grams of sweetener. Tried it a few days later and it seems pretty good. It's carbonating now and I'm going to tap it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well, everyone liked it. The only comment I got was "it's really thick".

If I ever brew this again, I'll leave out the lactose and use all 2 row instead of the Munich along with maybe 2 lbs. of crystal. I may also try it without any hops so I don't have to use so much sweetener.

I just started to brew beer , I've been a wine guy for most of my alcohol making career and I would like to make a video on how to make alcoholic root beer.

I'm thinking about using your recipe as a base but do you think if I used sarsaparilla powder in place of a hop at like 30 minutes and maybe 45 and added some vanilla extract also?
if this idea wouldn't help just tell me.

Back