Looking to brew this Honey Nut Brown, thoughts and opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer8700

Reaction score
I am looking to brew this Honey Nut Brown to be a nice medium bodied, pleasant beer to pair with foods, and just for sipping this winter. I am looking for a medium malty body with a slightly nutty taste with a good smooth honey finish. I want the Honey and the nuttiness balanced pretty evenly. I want to have a slight honey flavor come through, but not overly sweet, so I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on when the honey addition should be and how much I should add. Also, any thoughts on the grain (is there just too much going on?) or hop bill are appreciated, as well as thoughts on my mash temp and time.

Mash the following grains at approx. 154 degrees for 45 minutes?
3 lbs 2-row
12 oz. Crystal 60
8 oz. Biscuit
8 oz. Special B
6 oz. Carapils
4 oz. Chocolate malt

60 minute boil
3 lbs. Dark LME
1 oz. Fuggle hops

1 oz. Goldings hops @ 15 minutes
1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15 minutes

1 oz. Goldings hopos @ 5 minutes

My yeast will be some Nottingham left from my London Porter.

I am thinking of adding about 1.5 pounds of honey to the secondary for 7 days.

My estimated readings at 75% efficiency will be as follows.

OG: 1.051 FG: 1.011 IBU: 29 Color: 23 L

I just bottled a "honey" brown on Saturday and noticed last night that I already had yeast settling in the bottom of the bottle so I figured I'd try one out. It was about halfway way carbed but it tasted great! However, I didn't use any honey....just 8 oz of honey malt. It came through slightly. May consider bumping up to 12 oz or so next time. Let us know how the honey in the secondary turns out.

6 lbs Pale UK
1 lb Crystal 80
8 oz Aromatic
8 oz Honey malt
4 oz Cara-pils
4 oz Chocolate malt
1 oz EKG for 45 minutes
1 pkg Whitbread yeast

Back