Looking for thoughts on what started as a west coast IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgillard1976

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience with combining hops but I happen to have all this stuff around so I figured I'd give it a try.

Any thoughts would be helpful

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052
Efficiency: 82% (brew house)

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb 10 oz - Canadian - Pale 2-Row (54.5%)
3 lb 5 oz - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (27.3%)
10 oz - Flaked Quinoa (5.7%)
7 oz - German - Carapils (4%)

HOPS:
15 g - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 25.12
15 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 4.55
56 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at flameout, IBU: 26.9
56 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at flameout, IBU: 33.63
28 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days
56 g - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days
56 g - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days
15 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days (thinking of adding these 0 days in the keg)

I don't have a lot of experience with combining hops but I happen to have all this stuff around so I figured I'd give it a try.

Any thoughts would be helpful

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.052
Efficiency: 82% (brew house)

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb 10 oz - Canadian - Pale 2-Row (54.5%)
3 lb 5 oz - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (27.3%)
10 oz - Flaked Quinoa (5.7%)
7 oz - German - Carapils (4%)

HOPS:
15 g - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 25.12
15 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 4.55
56 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at flameout, IBU: 26.9
56 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at flameout, IBU: 33.63
28 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days
56 g - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 6 days
56 g - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days
15 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days (thinking of adding these 0 days in the keg)

looks like a lot of IBU for a 1.052 beer. for me i would keep it around 60IBU max or even lower but that's just me.

Those whirlpool IBU estimates look pretty high to me. I think the 30 IBU from the boil sounds pretty good and the bitterness from the whirlpool won't be too intense.

As far as hops go, I think those 4 will probably work great together but its hard to say with that many. You can always simplify down to 2-3. The Cascade will probably get overshadowed by the rest.

Those whirlpool IBU estimates look pretty high to me. I think the 30 IBU from the boil sounds pretty good and the bitterness from the whirlpool won't be too intense.

As far as hops go, I think those 4 will probably work great together but its hard to say with that many. You can always simplify down to 2-3. The Cascade will probably get overshadowed by the rest.

I thought the IBUs from the whirlpool seemed high as well. That's the amount Brewers Friend gave me. I might knock down the 60 min addition a bit to compensate.

Brewer's Friend calculates whirlpool at 10%, but that's something you need to change, to better suit the extraction you get from your own system. I usually change it to 4% utilization, as I'm doing my whirlpools at 158-160F for 20-30 minutes. That will still add some (perceived) bitterness, but mostly aroma and flavour. I used it at 3% for a while, but realized it was too low due to the perception of bitterness I got from a few beers. At 4% is where I believe my system ends at. It's not exact, but experiementing usually provides real life results, that can help you adjust the % of utilization during whirlpool. At 3% I felt that beers with a 50 IBU count, felt more like 55-60, which is why I changed.

Those 112 grams of hops will probably add no more than 15 IBUs or so.

I thought the IBUs from the whirlpool seemed high as well. That's the amount Brewers Friend gave me. I might knock down the 60 min addition a bit to compensate.

I would actually bump your boil addition IBU's up into the 40-50 range. I typically ignore whirlpool IBU's all together and shoot for my target using just the boil hops. Although @thehaze probably has the right idea factoring in 3-4% utilization.

Back