Looking for some IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattyboh

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking to make an IPA and am pretty new to making recipes. I was hoping to get some suggestions/comments for the recipe. I'm hoping for a somewhat malty IPA with some tropical fruit flavors.

Right now I've only got a five gallon mash tun (plan to make a 10gal soon) so I'm trying to keep it under 12 pounds of grain.

Here's what I have so far for a five gallon batch:
Grain:
4.5# 2-row
4.5# Maris Otter
1.75# Vienna
.75# crystal 40L

Hops:
.5oz Nugget FWH
1oz Amarillo 25min
1oz citra 10 min
1 oz each Citra and Amarillo at 5min
(maybe dry hop with an ounce each of citra and amarillo?)

Yeast:
Either US-05 or maybe Wyeast 1450
Mash at 154 for 60 mins, batch sparge, 60 min boil
expected OG(75% efficiency): 1.064
IBU: 75

Any comments would be greatly appreciated (and let me know if I've left out any necessary information)

Thanks!

Edit: (well shoot, meant to post this in the Recipes/ingredients section...sorry if this isn't the right place for this)

I think the overall impression of "malty ipa" is difficult. IPA is really a relatively unbalanced beer that is very hop dominated. I can see where you're trying to go though. Here are a few suggestions - I don't want to totally rewrite your recipe, but give you some pointers to steer you in a slightly different direction. You can obviously choose what you like/don't!

Malts: I would suggest cutting some of the Vienna and C40 and using more maris otter. Mash lower - 150*F. Mashing higher will leave a more dextrinous wort, which will attenuate lower, leaving a sweeter beer - not necessarily matlier tasting; and I don't think you're looking for a sweet finish in your IPA.

As for the hops, I love the idea of FWH this. I think I'd move the Amarillo to later in the boil and up the late addition amounts. You'll get your tropical fruit flavor/aroma from late additions/whirlpool/dry hopping. I would definitely dry hop!

Yeast: US05 is super clean and will let the hops shine. I haven't used the 1450 so I'm not sure how that would be. Would you consider an English yeast? Simply using an English yeast like S04 would leave a malt accentuated beer.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it turns out

Latest posts

Back