looking for some help with an all amarillo wheat IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mre24j

Reaction score
here is my working recipe any suggestions

4lbs dry wheat malt
3lbs liquid pale malt
.5 victory
.5 crystal 40
.5 crushed crystal

partial mash at 160 for 20 mins

1.5 oz amarillo at 60 mins
continuously hopped for rest of boil with 2.5oz of amarillo

Wyeast 1056

any suggestions?

Call it what you will, but I'm drinking what I call and American Wheat.
All Grain, but similar proportion of wheat to pale.
Not as hoppy as yours, but the Amarillo and wheat work well together.
Came out wonderful. Good luck!

1.052 OG
1.011 FG
55% Wheat Malt
40% Two Row
5% Flaked Rye

15 IBU Amarillo @ 60 minutes
10 IBU Amarillo @ 15 minutes

2 liter Pacman Starter

Dry Hop w/ 1oz Amarillo

I would set your bitterness all in one shot at 60 min, then space the remaining hops over the last 20 minutes with a big flameout addition. Hops you add at 45 min with contribute little to no hop flavor and will not provide as much bitterness.

I would set your bitterness all in one shot at 60 min, then space the remaining hops over the last 20 minutes with a big flameout addition. Hops you add at 45 min with contribute little to no hop flavor and will not provide as much bitterness.

I know, I was going to continually hop because I really want to get the full spectrum of flavors from the amarillo, I was going to do a larger upfront addition though at 60 to get my bitterness.

I'm jealous. This sounds good. I just made an Amarillo Amber with a fair amount of late additions, and I feel like I screwed up by not dry-hopping it at least a little. I miss the nose.

good luck with yours.

I'm jealous. This sounds good. I just made an Amarillo Amber with a fair amount of late additions, and I feel like I screwed up by not dry-hopping it at least a little. I miss the nose.

good luck with yours.

I am going to dry hop it, I was thinking about maybe 1.5oz of amarillo, what does everyone else think?

Back