Looking for Oatmeal stout recepie.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer35

Reaction score
A Sam Smith clone would be nice, or ??..

Something simple perhaps as Im still cutting my teeth at this.

5 Gals, Extract specialty grains..

Has anyone done the Run Mill version in palmers book? How is that one?

beer35 said:
A Sam Smith clone would be nice, or ??..

Something simple perhaps as Im still cutting my teeth at this.

5 Gals, Extract specialty grains..

Has anyone done the Run Mill version in palmers book? How is that one?

I think there's a recipe for Sammy's in the book *Clone Brews.*

As an aside, I don't think the starches in oatmeal will convert in steeping--they need to be mashed. In otherwords, this is a style that would be problematic to achieve (I would think) in extract brewing.

I did an extract w/ grains oatmeal stout a couple months ago, and it came out tasting awesome. When I steeped, I definitely got something out of the oatmeal, I think. I also used both flaked barley, so perhaps that was what got into the brew.

Clarification: when starches don't convert to sugars in steeping, you tend to get cloudy or hazy beers, but you definite;y still get the flavors from steeping.

So in a stout, where cloudiness is kindof a non-issue, it's not a very big deal, I guess.

Torchiest said:
I did an extract w/ grains oatmeal stout a couple months ago, and it came out tasting awesome. When I steeped, I definitely got something out of the oatmeal, I think. I also used both flaked barley, so perhaps that was what got into the brew.

Ditto - Sadly the recipe is temporarily misplaced. I'll try to dig it up tonight and post it.

Well, here's the recipe I used. It's perhaps a little odd, but I think it came out great, and I've gotten lots of positive comments from everybody about it; some people have suggested entering it in competition.

6.00 lb Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) Extract 61.5 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
1.00 oz Target [11.00%] (30 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) Yeast-Ale

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.048 SG (1.035-1.060 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.010-1.018 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Color: 43.6 SRM (35.0-200.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 21.1 IBU (20.0-50.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.2 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.5 % (3.3-6.0 %)
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 3.8 %

It came out kinda light on ABV, but like I said, people really enjoyed it. Perhaps a good starting point for you.

As I understand it, the goal of the oatmeal isn't necessarily to convert it into sugar. Oatmeal is supposed to lend the beer that creamy character, and perhaps some flavor. I made a few back when I did extract that came out great, but I've never tried and all grain, I'm assuming the oatmeal would just go into the mash.

I have the "Mill Run Stout" from Palmer's book in primary right now. Also added a 1/2 lb of chocolate malt. I'm a little worried that because of the higher fermentation temperatures (75-ish) I'm going to get a fruity, estery stout. Hope not!

Thanks for the replies, I think I may try a Shakespeare clone even though it only calls for 1/2 lb of flaked oats.

Im kind of suprised at how little flavor grains are in that Samuel Smith clone..

The shakespeare I dug up looks something like;

9 lb pale grain (Ill just go with 7 lb of lme here)

1/2 lb Choc
1/2 lb flaked oats
1/2lb 120l crystal
1/2 lb Black roasted barley

2 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade 5 min

I may bump up the oats a bit on this one, I think Ill try it with some Safale US 56.

A partial mash should work well with a recipe like one of these posted right? Hmm.. does anyone use good old fashioned rolled oats like Quaker's or something? Just curious.

omniscientomar said:
A partial mash should work well with a recipe like one of these posted right? Hmm.. does anyone use good old fashioned rolled oats like Quaker's or something? Just curious.

Palmers book mentions that the old fashioned oats need to be cooked before adding, I believe that the instant type can simply be added to the specialty grains though, perhaps someone more knowledgable can add to or correct that assumption.

papabobdole said:
As I understand it, the goal of the oatmeal isn't necessarily to convert it into sugar. Oatmeal is supposed to lend the beer that creamy character, and perhaps some flavor. I made a few back when I did extract that came out great, but I've never tried and all grain, I'm assuming the oatmeal would just go into the mash.
Anytime you add starches to a beer (such as oatmeal) your goal should be to convert it. The starches may not hurt anything (other than a permanent haze), but on the other hand they could. Starches lend a biological unstability to a finished beer that can invite an infection. May not happen, but it's much easier in a beer with unconverted starch.

The creaminess and body in an oatmeal stout comes from the proteins lent by the oatmeal and frequently flaked barley.

I don't see why a partial mash wouldn't work fine, that's what I'd do. It's not much different from steeping. You could always just steep it, as well, and deal with the haze and hope against an infection.

omniscientomar said:
Care to share that recipe? Thanks!

I will have to dig through my home computer...I have the basic ingredients and hop schedule on that machine. Hopefully tonight I will be able to grab that!

Here 'tis:

9# Briess dark dme
1# Caramel 80
1# Chocolate malt
1# Light roasted barley
.5# Black patent
1# Quaker rolled oats

1oz Centennial @60
.50 oz Cascade @ 40
.25 oz Cascade @ 20
.25 oz Cascade @ 05

Safale US56

I modified a Cream Stout recipe just a tad to come up with this, what do you think?

Cream Oatmeal Stout

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
13.6 1.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
45.4 5.00 lbs. Alexander LME - Pale America 1.037 2
9.1 1.00 lbs. Alexander LME - Wheat America 1.037 4
5.7 0.63 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
4.5 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
9.1 1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
3.5 0.38 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575
9.1 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.99 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 21.6 60 min.
0.49 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.75 10.7 60 min.
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 1.5 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Yeast Nutrient Other 15 Min.(boil)
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1968 London Extra Special Bitter

Notes
-----

Based on BREW's cream stout.

Back