• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Looking for newer Cincinnati water report

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

RiverCityBrewer

Reaction score
Does anyone have newer reports?

So far I can only find 2014 numbers from the Cincinnati Miller plant and 2011 numbers from the Cincinnati Bolton plant.

(I need both because I sometimes brew up north with my friends in West Chester, and they get their water from Bolton. And make no mistake, 9.0pH is no misprint. That's what's coming out of Bolton. I just tested again it last night. It always surprises me.)
9 is normal coming out of Bolton (avg is actually 9.2-9.3)... I get between 8.5 and 8.8 from the Miller plant. Butler County buys water wholesale from GCWW and City of Hamilton, and I believe they use soda ash to add more alkalinity. Years ago I worked on a job and we put some transmission mains up US42 and US22 to feed water towers in Butler and Warren Counties, but they ran down to the Miller plant on the river. You might need to find out which tower your friend's house is fed from in West Chester to determine the water source.

bob schweitzer

Reaction score
Last edited:

BrotherJames

Reaction score
I've been looking at the report but in terms of the water profile calculators I've looked at I'm not seeing how this is useful. It doesn't seem to have most of the parameters that are needed but maybe I'm missing something?
You're not missing anything. I've seen that report many times. Sorry Buckeye Hydro, that report is near useless for brewers here, other than to help you determine which plant you're being serviced by.

However, I just obtained an updated report (10/2017) for Cincinnati (Miller Plant) from a brewer at Rhinegeist. Enjoy and happy brewing!

Cincinnati Water (Miller) - October 2017
pH - 8.19
Calcium (mg/L) - 30.6
Magnesium (mg/L) - 10.8
Sodium (mg/L) - 23.3
Sulfate (mg/L) - 64.8
Chloride (mg/L) - 20.5
Bicarbonate (mg/L) - 81.7

additional details:
M Alkalinity - 81.7 (expressed as bicarbonate, as far as I can tell in my research)
Specific Conductance (µS) - 310
Fluoride (mg/L) - <2
Chloride (mg/L) - 20.5
Aluminum (mg/l) - <0.05
Copper (mg/L) - <0.05
Iron (mg/L) - <0.05
Potassium (mg/L) - 2.31
Phosphorus (mg/L) - 0.17
Lead (mg/L) - <0.05
Silicon (mg/L) - 2.14
Strontium (mg/L) - 0.25
Zinc (mg/L) - <0.05

BrotherJames

Reaction score
No need to apologize to me... Someone asked for it and I provided. No worries. :)
Actually, you were replying to me. But what I'm trying to explain is, that is not the water report any brewer would be looking for. It's of no help for building water profiles for brewing.

For brewing you need to know the pH, as well as the Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Sulfate, Chloride, and Bicarbonate content in ppm (mg/L). These are usually obtained by having an analysis of the water done by a lab -- municipalities rarely have all these numbers available.

I appreciate that you were trying to help, and thanks, but I'm just letting you know the report that the GCWW provides is not what brewers are looking for. :)