Looking for M-43 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasenRendon

Reaction score
Hello All!

Recently, my friends have challenge me to brew a clone of M-43 by Old Nation Brewery and win in a blind taste test. I am up for the challenge as I haven't attempted to brew a clone in a long time. I have seen some information about the recipe but am hoping that maybe some of you have additional information that will help me with this Clone.
The can has some of the information of the ingredients that it uses.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1503593070.591342.jpg

Thank you all and I hope that you guys will be able to help me out!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1503601311.831591.jpg

For reference, here is a picture of the actual beer. My guess would be 60% Pilsner, 20%. Flaked oats and 20% flaked wheat. It has a very slick mouthfeel. Small bittering charge at FWH. Larger whirlpool additions and a long steep. Double dry hop, first at 3 days during active fermentation and the second at 6 days. Just a stab, but if I were dong this, it would look something like this.

Batch Name:M-43
Brewed By:Me
Style:Specialty IPA
Batch Size:6.00 gal
Boil Time:60 min

Typical Style Characteristics
Style:Specialty IPA

Calculated & Measured Statistics
Calculated O.G.1.068 (70% Efficiency)
Calculated F.G.1.018 (73% Yeast Attenuation)
ABV6.8%

Malt Bill
Pilsner– 1.6°L9.50 lbs
Flaked Wheat– 2°L3.25 lbs
Oats, Flaked- 3.25 lbs

Mash Rest Profile
Saccharification (Medium Body)154°F60 min

Hop Bill
Hop NameTime AddedWeightAA%Type
Amarillo60 min0.33 oz8.5%Pellet Hop
Calypso60 min0.33 oz15.7%Pellet Hop
Citra60 min0.33 oz12.5%Pellet Hop
Amarillo0 min2.00 oz8.5%Pellet Hop
Calypso0 min2.00 oz15.7%Pellet Hop
Citra0 min2.00 oz12.5%Pellet Hop
Simcoe (dry hop)6 days1.00 oz13.0%Pellet Hop
Amarillo (dry hop)6 days1.00 oz8.5%Pellet Hop
Citra (dry hop)6 days1.00 oz12.5%Pellet Hop
Citra (dry hop)3 days1.00 oz12.5%Pellet Hop
Simcoe (dry hop)3 days1.00 oz13.0%Pellet Hop
Amarillo (dry hop)3 days1.00 oz8.5%Pellet Hop

Yeast Details
WY1318 Wyeast London Ale III (Or cultivate from the can)

I would do 1oz each hop for two separate whirlpool additions. 3oz flamout and 3oz at 30 for a total 60 minute whirlpool.

Again this is just a guess and have never brewed this recipe. Just put it together while drinking a can. Let me know how it turns out if you decide to try it.

The recipe looks good! My NE style IPAs usually end with up 10% each of oats and white wheat. I have seen some people going up to 20% with just oats, so you should be good. What water profile are you going with?

Yes! That looks very good! I'm going to type this into Beersmith tomorrow and get started on it soon. Anyone else have any ideas?

I typed it into Beersmith and made a few small changes to match their IBU and abv. Both fermenters are busy ATM but as soon as I brew it I'll update you!
Thank you!

How did this turn out, I am looking to brew am M43 clone this weekend? Would love any input that you learned.

Back