looking for expert input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
I am in the market for a brew set-up. I have looked on the net and I see kits ranging from $30.00 on up. I am looking to get started off on the right foot. I don't mind spending some money to do things right but I'm not planning on going into business just something for personal enjoyment. I would like something where I don't end up with seditiment in the bottles. I am also thinking of a small keg type thing for in the fridge. I will post some links as to what I am thinking:
http://www.beer-wine.com/category_page.asp?categoryID=1&sectionID=1
one of the 4 kits on that page which one is best and why?

http://www.beer-wine.com/category_page.asp?categoryID=7&sectionID=1
looking at the Brew King 5L Keg. What do you think?

any and all suggestions are welcome.

The "deluxe" kit looks good to me: comes with pretty-much everything you'll need for at least the first several batches, maybe forever. The more expensive one comes with 2 cases of bottles--your milage may vary, but I never pay for bottles. If you're willing to pay a little more over the basic kit of gear, you definitely won't regret having the glass carboy for a secondary.

I agree. If you're worried about sediment in the bottom, you should invest in a glass carboy to use as a secondary.
Personally, I only use 22-ounce bottles, since it cuts down on the bottling time and suffering, but you can do what you want.
I have tried the mini-kegs for the fridge with disappointing results. Only one out of three kegs came out good, the other two leaked and went flat.
I have come to the conclusion, that if you're going to keg, you may as well go all out. But maybe you will have better luck.

I agree with cweston on the kit selection. As for sediment in bottles, there is no way you can bottle homebrew without it. You'd need expensive filtering equipmemt to attempt it. I'm with Larry Bell of Bell's Brewing on this issue - "If God had wanted us to filter our beers, he wouldn't have given us livers" Just decant carefully to leave it at the bottom of the bottle. If you're dead set on it, then a full-blown kegging system with force carbonation would be the way to go.

I'd also highly recommend John Palmer's free online book How To Brew before you spend a dime!:D

Good luck and welcome to this insane and fun hobby!

this is a new hobby for me as I am taking a break from being a magician. The cost isn't a large deal cause the wife has her own money that she get to do with what she wants and I get my share also. Giving up the magic hobby is totally my choice I'm just tired of performing and always wanted to learn to brew beer and wine. I will be making my first batch soon. I am going out of state to visit a friend next month who is brewing his first batch and has asked me to come sample it with him. We will be going to a brew store where I will be getting the nessicary equipment to get this venture started off right. (same post already posted but in the wrong section)

that's almost an irrelevant question, because you'll drink it before it ever goes bad.

In all seriousness though, on another message board, there is a guy who keeps back some of his beers for years and says that are fine.

-walker

If you do it right and don't oxidize it or expose it to light (espeically if its in green or clear bottles) then it will keep for months.. maybe even a year or more. I've been very busy at school recently and have had to dig into my stash, unfortunately I just finished one of my first all grain batches - it was about 9 months old at tasted absolutely great... it got better every month it sat in the bottles. Point is, homebrew will benefit greatly from aging. Darker beers especially mellow out and blend with time. One thing that does degrade however is hop aroma and bitterness.. this is not a huge problem (your beer won't taste awful) but you may notice that the hop nose on the beer is disappearing after a while.

The problem with homebrew is not that it goes bad.. the problem is managing to not drink it before it gets really really good!

As for what you need for a basic extract setup here's a list:
-primary: if you can afford it, do it right and go with a glass carboy and not a plastic bucket
-secondary: let your beer age in bulk, clear, and give you to opportunity to dry hop it. You definitely need a glass carboy for a secondary.
-large kettle: For extract batches you'll probably be doing partial boils (concentrated wort) and so a 5 gallon pot will be sufficient. You can do a search on this, it's been beaten to death, but aluminum is absolutely fine. Stainless would be ideal and ceramic coated work well too though they're fragile and ruin if you chip them. A full volume boil is better than a partial boil and you can do this with a turkey fryer. For what you'd pay for a large kettle you could get a turkey fryer for $40 that comes with a propane burner AND a large (i.e. 7.5 gallon) kettle. It'll allow you to do full volume boils, you can do it out side where the wife can't complain about the mess in the kitchen, boilovers end up on the ground instead of on/in the stove, and you have a vital piece of equipment should you ever decide to go all grain.
-siphoning system: a racking cane is a PITA! An autosiphon is a great $10 investment but I think an even cooler and simpler (though still cheap) setup is to use those carboy caps.. do a search on this one and you'll see what I mean.
-hydrometer: yes, some people go without.. let's not go there please. It'll allow you to check on your fermentation and see how its coming. Plus it'll tell you your abv.
-thermometer: the more of these you have the better. The kind you stick on your carboys are handy (2.50 a piece - you'll want 2) and a good digital thermometer (not the kind with the wire probe - do a search).
-wort chiller: if you do concentrated batches then you can use a sink full of ice. The simplest chiller option is an immersion chiller, you can easily build one yourself - do a search. You'll want a chiller if you do full volume boils.
-tubing: 5 feet or so to allow you to transfer your beer. Change it out periodically since its hard to clean. Don't worry, it's cheap.
-bottling wand: you'll need it to bottle your beer.
-bottling bucket: you'll need it to bottle your beer.
-bottles: 50 is about how many you'll need for a 5 gallon batch
-caps: duh!
-capper: wing capper is cheapest and works ok even on narrow necked european bottles (do a search) but a bench capper is nice.
-sanitizer: another pandora's box (do a search) please save yourself the grief of using bleach as a sanitizer. Get some star san.. it'll last forever.
-carboy brush: to clean the gunk out of the carboys
-airlocks & drilled stoppers: to seal your carboy.
-priming sugar: to carbonate your beer. It's corn sugar.. cheap and effective. Malt extract seems to take longer and, in my experience, doesn't make much difference. Don't use table sugar.
-turkey baster: to remove beer from the carboy for sampling... you could just siphon it out but that can be messy sometimes.
-bar keepers friend and unscented bleach are great cleaning agents.
-a water filter if your tap water tastes terrible

I think that's probably just about everything. Obviously, somethings (hydrometer, turkeybaster, bench capper, turkey fryer, wort chiller, etc.) are luxury items but they are still very very helpful. I wouldn't recommend something that is useless. Eventually you'll probably come to own everything on this list and more. You should definitely read Palmers "how to brew" - it's free online:
www.howtobrew.com.
It's a really great resource. Happy brewing!

bandt9299 said:
Seems way too expensive to me, I think there are better stores out there. I got my first setup here. You can always add to it to get all the necessary things!
http://www.sicilianosmkt.com/

The deluxe kit on that website seems like a really good price then just go to wal-mart get a big enamel canning pot for brewing and your ready for less than $100.

Back