Looking for beer gas sources in Buffalo NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just like the title says, I'm looking for sources of beer gas in/around Buffalo NY.

I bought a nitro tap, and I have some aged bourbon barrel stout in a small keg I'd like to get flowing.

I go to a welding shop in Kenmore for my CO2. They don't do beer gas. I'm aware of Irish Carbonic, but it's hard to get there because of the business hours and location.

Anyplace else in Buffalo NY - preferably in the Northtowns?

Just like the title says, I'm looking for sources of beer gas in/around Buffalo NY.

I bought a nitro tap, and I have some aged bourbon barrel stout in a small keg I'd like to get flowing.

I go to a welding shop in Kenmore for my CO2. They don't do beer gas. I'm aware of Irish Carbonic, but it's hard to get there because of the business hours and location.

Anyplace else in Buffalo NY - preferably in the Northtowns?
I get all mine from Irish carbonic, both for home and ther brewpub... EDIT just seen you know of them.. Iroquois birch beer in tonawanda used to act as a middleman for Irish allowing to to drop off and pick up there at a considerable price increase..

I dont know if kegworks still does it but they used to fill tanks as well.

Try a Fire equipment store. Especially one that sells and refills fire extinguishers. I use our local and it $20.00 for a 20 lb tank.

That seems like it may be my only option.

Does Irish Carbonic do fills, or just swaps?
they do fills as well. I have a small recertificated medical oxgen tank I bought on ebay) that I have them refill with beergas. Rememebr you need the special tank with the higher pressure certified style fitting at the top. (harbor frieght sells these with welding supplies cheap along with the regulators or adapters) They also test and re certify old tanks. honestly thier prices for even co2 where half of what I found elswhere.
they have an actual showroom where you can drop off tanks and pick them up relatively quickly.

I have a beer gas tank and regulator, so I'm all set.

I've been paying about $25 for a 5 lb tank of CO2, which seems kinda high to me. It keeps going up. I miss KegWorks.

I have a 10 lb tank that needs certification. Most places need to send the tank out for the certification.

Looks like I'm going to have to take an extra long lunch, and do some driving.

Last edited:
I have a beer gas tank and regulator, so I'm all set.

I've been paying about $25 for a 5 lb tank of CO2, which seems kinda high to me. It keeps going up. I miss KegWorks.

I have a 10 lb tank that needs certification. Most places need to send the tank out for the certification.

Looks like I'm going to have to take an extra long lunch, and do some driving.
yeah irish is way less for co2... I have a bunch of aluminum #5 tanks and I think it was like $15 to get them filled if I remember right. IRISH is where those places often send the tanks for re certification as most places get thier gas from Irish and sell at a markup. praxair (now LINDE again) still does it but they dont do beergas that I know of.

BTW Irish is behind a bunch of buildings and not the easiest to find without the GPS... might want to tank any propane tanks you need filled too.

we have an account with them to deliver and pick up huge rental tanks we get from them for the brewpub but I never tried to see if they will take my smaller tanks for home and fill and deliver... probably not, and honestly I havent homebrewed or needed gas at home since the pub opened... no time.

Last edited:
Had mixed results at Irish Carbonic.

I got a 5 lb CO2 tank filled, and it was quite a bit cheaper than expected. The fill came to $15. It literally took about 3 minutes to get the tank back. I'll definitely go back for that.

I had issues trying to get the beer gas. I assumed they could do a fill right there, but I had to leave the tank. They'll call me when it's ready. When I asked for beer gas, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I assumed they fill these all the time. I had to tell her 75%/25% N2/CO2. My tank is brand new, and that seemed to confuse them as well. There was no label indicating what was inside, so they were hesitant to take the cylinder. I pre-paid $15 for the fill, so I think that's a good deal.

Hopefully I get the right stuff back. While I was there someone returned a large cylinder that was supposed to be 75/25, but was pure N2. I think he may have been serving at the festival over the weekend. It caused some problems. He wasn't too happy.

I asked about getting a tank re-certified. The cost is $45. She said the cost was going to go up in the near future. Considering I can get a new tank for ~$50, I'm not sure why I'd go that route. My welding shop charges $25, so I'll probably just go there.

Last edited:
Had mixed results at Irish Carbonic.

I got a 5 lb CO2 tank filled, and it was quite a bit cheaper than expected. The fill came to $15. It literally took about 3 minutes to get the tank back. I'll definitely go back for that.

I had issues trying to get the beer gas. I assumed they could do a fill right there, but I had to leave the tank. They'll call me when it's ready. When I asked for beer gas, they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I assumed they fill these all the time. I had to tell her 75%/25% N2/CO2. My tank is brand new, and that seemed to confuse them as well. There was no label indicating what was inside, so they were hesitant to take the cylinder. I pre-paid $15 for the fill, so I think that's a good deal.

Hopefully I get the right stuff back. While I was there someone returned a large cylinder that was supposed to be 75/25, but was pure N2. I think he may have been serving at the festival over the weekend. It caused some problems. He wasn't too happy.

I asked about getting a tank re-certified. The cost is $45. She said the cost was going to go up in the near future. Considering I can get a new tank for ~$50, I'm not sure why I'd go that route. My welding shop charges $25, so I'll probably just go there.
yeah I would belive it... they do know quite well what beer gas is but I guess it depends on who you deal with. the fisrt time I took my reurb tank there they treated me the same way with not knowing if they would fill it. since then though I leave the tag they put on it on the tank and I havent had an issue though I dont know if Ive ever gone there and waited for it vs having to come back later. to be honest I usually dropped off multiple tanks when I made the trip.

Yep - Overall, you can't beat the CO2 prices.

I think I'll probably pickup a new 20lb tank and get that filled rather than re-certifying my 10lb tank. 20lb should last me a long, long time, and the 10lb tanks are kind of an oddball. Most places won't take them for trade-in. I can probably get a few bucks for it CL.

Yep - Overall, you can't beat the CO2 prices.

I think I'll probably pickup a new 20lb tank and get that filled rather than re-certifying my 10lb tank. 20lb should last me a long, long time, and the 10lb tanks are kind of an oddball. Most places won't take them for trade-in. I can probably get a few bucks for it CL.
I have a tall narrow 20lb tank at home that has its first date stamp on it right as prohibition ended! and its still going... lots of recertification stamps on that one...

Back