Looking for an IPA recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St_Scotty_Brew

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I've brewed 4 or 5 batches of beer- a Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone, a porter, and some others - and I really want to brew an IPA this weekend. I'm just brewing extract right now until I get a mash tun.

Does anyone have a good extract IPA recipe? I'm looking for something on the citrus/fruity side... any suggestions on how to make a standard IPA fruity? I live in Texas so it's not too late for a summer style IPA.

thanks

For fruity, check hops descriptions. Citra, cascade and simcoe all give different fruit aromas/flavors (passionfruit/mango, grapefruit and lemon, respectively). There are many others. To get the best aroma and flavor for an IPA I highly recommend a hop stand and dry hopping with at least 2 oz of your chosen hops in each. Do a search on them if you're not familiar. Playing with different combinations can be a lot of fun.

I have a nice Citra IPA recipe that came in second place out of 35 IPA entries in my homebrew club's BJCP competition. PM me if interested.

Citra is lovely but can lean towards grapefruit. Galaxy and Neson Sauvin are nice fruit hops as well (The Nelson leans more towards a grape flavor, and galaxy more tropical). Consider using some caramel/crystal malt. You won't need a tun, you can just steep it for a bit of residual sweetness and caramel flavor that'll help accentuate fruitiness, and it'll help boost head retention to boot.

Mosaic and Citra make a nice fruity combo.

Yea buddy. Have a Mosaic smash of a sort fermenting. I say of a sort, bc I bittered with hop extract. All flavor additions, hop stand, and dry hops are mosaic though. Great hop. Especially with Citra.

Back when I was brewing extract I abhorred kits, always brewed my own recipe or one I found here on HBT. However, I got a Chinook IPA kit from Northern Brewer for 50% off and I'll be damned if that wasn't one of the best IPAs I've ever brewed.

Give it a shot!

If not, I'd keep it simple - maybe a one or two hop IPA. Chinook, Cascade, Simcoe, Columbus, Citra....keep it simple and it should be good.

My vote is Galaxy. Lots of great passionfruit/mango flavors and aroma. I brew an IPA using Galaxy, Citra, and some Columbus to add a little earthy dankness. The Galaxy/Citra combo is great.

This link may help you out. It lists different hops based on their aromatic properties, so you can pick out what you're looking for as far as citrusy, fruity, tropical fruit, piney, earthy, etc.

https://www.hopunion.com/aroma-wheel/

Latest posts

Back