Looking For A Light Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleScout

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good extract or BIAB light beer recipe? I'm considering going on a low carb diet and I'd like to have something I can still drink when I want a beer without cheating.

I have no idea about the carb content but the blonde Larry did on his youtube channel is great. You can always drop the mash temp down to 148 or drop the amount of malt to lower the the carbs I'd guess.

I sent you a "conversation" notice...

UPDATE:

Light Ale
4.33% ABV

(Hops may be substituted to your liking).

7# 2 Row malt
12 oz Caramel (10L)
.3 oz Cascade hops (6.3% AAU used) (FWH)
.5 oz Cascade (60 mins)
.7 oz Cascade (3 mins)
1 tsp Irish Moss
Safale US-05 or Nottingham

Temperature Step Infusion Mash used.
Heat 2.75 gals to 163F.
Mash at 150F for 75 mins.
Top off mash tun (I use a 7 gal Rubbermaid cooler)with near boiling water.
Stir in, rest 5 mins.
Add First Wort Hops (FWH) to pot.
Vorlauf and rack to boil pot.
Batch Sparge at 168F.
Collect 6 gals.
Total Boil 60 mins.
Add 60 mins hop.
Boil 45 mins.
Add Irish Moss & Chiller.
Boil 12 mins.
Add 3 mins. hops.
Boil 3 mins.
Remove from heat and chill to 68F.
Ferment at 65-68F for 7-14 days or to completion. (Optional) Rack to secondary.
Cold crash for 24-28 hours.
Keg or bottle. Prime 1 oz Corn Sugar per gallon (if bottling).

Last edited:
The ABV calculator on the Brewer's friend website also estimates calories.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

Larry's blonde ale above has an estimated starting gravity of 1.045 and about 150 calories per 12 oz.
If you cut the starting gravity down to 1.035, you can get the calories down to about 115.

So if you want to try to use Larry's blond ale recipe but reduce the calories further, you could just cut all the ingredients back by 20% and see what happens, OR, plug the lower numbers into the brewers friend recipe calculator and see how your gravity and IBU's come out.

Does anyone have a good extract or BIAB light beer recipe? I'm considering going on a low carb diet and I'd like to have something I can still drink when I want a beer without cheating.

Aside from patersbier, you want British bitters, particularly something like a Boddington's clone which gives you high attenuation on a relatively low OG - Ron Pattinson has recently published a bunch of historical recipes.

Thanks for the suggestions. The British bitter sounds like a good idea, it's a style I've been thinking about trying.

Back