Looking at Jaybird False Bottom for Keggle Mash Tun: should I get the stand with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPaul

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a mash tun from a 15.5 gallon Sanke keg and it sounds like the 15" Jaybird false bottoms are a good addition. My question is, should I also buy the $25 stand for the false bottom, or does it work fine without the stand? In case it matters, I will be continuously recirculating the mash with HERMS. Thanks.

I have a 15" without a stand. I'm not even sure you could put a stand in there.

By the way, do you have to unscrew the fitting and remove the dip tube in order to get the FB out for cleaning? How easy/hard is that? Is there an easier way?

Yes, you have to remove the dip tube. It's not to bad, after you figure out the exact orientation of your FB.

I'm in the process of building a mash tun from a 15.5 gallon Sanke keg and it sounds like the 15" Jaybird false bottoms are a good addition. My question is, should I also buy the $25 stand for the false bottom, or does it work fine without the stand? In case it matters, I will be continuously recirculating the mash with HERMS. Thanks.

Hope you dont mind if I chime in here...
Here is the scoop on the stands. I developed a stand for guys doing monster mashes and using RIMS and HERMS that were seeing more grain under the false bottom then they wanted. The problem we were seeing is the guys doing RIMS and HERMS is the constant pull with the pump was creating a vacuum and sucking the false bottom down. So the stand was born, and has not been on the site because this came along so infrequently. I see so many more people doing this kind of mashing and asking for a stand we are going to add it to the site.
The stand will be on the site tomorrow. Its not 24.99 but 16.99. If you want to see it this is basically what it looks like without the fine mesh screen. The stand only has 2 large holes not the 4 the hop halter has. It sits under the false bottom in the center of the kettle and will only work with the 15" false here it is:

bottom.http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/product427.html

Most people wont need a stand, if your doing normal 10 gallon mashes and not recirculating for extended peoiods of time like with HERMS you really dont need a stand. I myself use a 5" mini with a 1.5"side wall under my 15" and love it. I like that it adds yet 1 more level of filtration, but I push my mash tun to its max with big mashes and 12 gallon batches

Cheers
Jay

By the way, do you have to unscrew the fitting and remove the dip tube in order to get the FB out for cleaning? How easy/hard is that? Is there an easier way?

check out the how to on our site for the dip tube install. We drill the hole off center about 1/2" so you can install the dip tube and spin the false bottom in place for a perfect fit.http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/Home_Page/How_To.html

Cheers
Jay

Thanks guys. I will probably be ordering 2 soon... and I will probably get the stand for them just in case... since I will be using HERMS with a continuously recirculating mash.

Latest posts

Back