Will a brew bag replace the false bottom in my EHERM system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Question for those of you who use a brew bag in your kettle MLT.
I use a false bottom and pick up tube in my 25 gallon MLT, vorlauf of course as I recirculate, and fly sparge. I'm considering the bag addition to keep more out of the kettle, and to simplify cleanup. Maybe some day I will add a pully, but for now it's just for these reasons. If I add a 400 micron bag, should I size it large enough to forgo the false bottom, or would that negatively effect grain bed flow with just this bag sitting on top of the dip tube without the false bottom? I've read through a few of the BIAB threads and didn't see any related experiences/set ups. TIA!
Eric

With the bag sitting on the bottom of the MLT there will be little of the bag exposed to be the filter area and with recirculation it is likely to become plugged with fine particles. Use the bag when you transfer the wort to the fermenter to catch whatever gets through the false bottom.

I can only relate my experience. I use a bag in a Mash King mash tun. I started with just a braided stainless hose and then added the bag to help prevent a stuck mash and make clean up easier for me. That worked better but I replaced that with the standard universal false bottom with centre pick up hose and kept using the bag. Works great for me, I would try it that way first since you are asking for recommendations.

I use the 10.5gal anvil foundry so its obviously not the same system as you. I ditched the malt pipe long ago and use a wilserbag on top of a false bottom and it works great! I used the bag inside of the malt-pipe for a while but prefer no malt-pipe but with a false bottom. If I were you, I would size the bag according to your MLT size (don't take the false bottom into account). Then you will have the option to do it both ways to see what you prefer better: with or without the false bottom. Since you sparge with your system, I will tell you that I sparge (manual "fly" sparge) with the bag in place and it works great and I only lift the bag via a hoist once most of the wort is in my second vessel. Works great. Im not sure if in your instance if the bag with FB would be better than without the FB, but I imagine it also depends on your crush size and how fast you use your pump to maintain temps for your EHERMS setup. Nevertheless, if you size your bag according to your MLT without the FB, you will have the option to do it both ways to decide which you like better. Ive never used the "brew bag" brand but I highly recommend the Wilserbag brand as thats what I use.

Cheers!

Back