Lookin' to get a close recipe to Red Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slushy1975

Reaction score
A few of you North Carolina guys might can help this one....

I love Red Oak and that style that it represents (or closely represents)....does anyone have a recipe that will put me in the ballpark in terms of flavor and style?

Would it be completely mashed with Munich & Vienna Malts or would base malt be added? I've tried my own take on getting the Red Oak flavor (if not a clone), but missed on the bittering hops, thus overdoing it.:confused:

I love Red Oak and that style that it represents (or closely represents)....does anyone have a recipe that will put me in the ballpark in terms of flavor and style?

Would it be completely mashed with Munich & Vienna Malts or would base malt be added? I've tried my own take on getting the Red Oak flavor (if not a clone), but missed on the bittering hops, thus overdoing it.:confused:

Bump. I'm looking for this too. Been over 2 years. Thought I'd give it a try.

Old thread from the grave!!

I'm piecing together the puzzle myself on cloning Red Oak. Heres what I've gathered so far....

Type is a Amber Munich Urtyp (Old Style) Lager
Ingredients are; Munich Malt, Spart Noble Hops, Four to six weeks of lagering at 30–32 ºF (~0 ºC).
From reading more about them they adhere to a strict purity code from Bavarian law so certain types of clearing agents are not used. No idea what the yeast strain.

Obviously this is not a recipe, but maybe between others on the board we can come up with something close. They are a 12,000+ barrel a year brewery so they have bound to have hit the tastebuds of folks beyond just the carolinas! Great beer!

I got to thinking about this brewery, and really liked their brews but you can't get them if you don't live close to them, certainly not in Florida.
Has anyone managed to cobble a recipe together for their Battlefield Bock or their Amber lager? The flavor profile of the Battlefield seems pretty basic, and I'll probably work on that in a couple of months, but would certainly appreciate a recipe if anyone has already gone this route (if not to completion, it would at least give me a good base to build upon).

I got to thinking about this brewery, and really liked their brews but you can't get them if you don't live close to them, certainly not in Florida.

That's funny I live 1/2 hour from them and I don't give them a second thought. I really don't care for their stuff. They seem rather bland, and expensive at $18 for a 12 pack. The brewery looks nice from I-40 though.

I'm not really a beer fan (joined while trying to make cider), but Red Oak is about the only beer I've ever tried that I really liked. I'm just a stones throw away now, and even a couple towns over it's hard to find.

I've been told Natty Greene's Buckshot might be similar, but that's a similar problem (distribution). Red Oak fans - how would you describe it - when I go into a restaurant far from home that only carries nationwide brands - what am I looking for?

That's funny I live 1/2 hour from them and I don't give them a second thought. I really don't care for their stuff. They seem rather bland, and expensive at $18 for a 12 pack. The brewery looks nice from I-40 though.

Yeah, that's my take on it. They're not bad, but there's plenty of better local beer available these days.

Red Oak is a fantastic session beer. I could wash a few down easy.

Buckshot is somewhat similar, in that they're both ambers, but I wouldn't call them identical. One, Red Oak is a lager and Buckshot is an ale. I run the risk of getting flamed for this, but have you tried Fat Tire by New Belgium? It won't be identical either, but it's a good gateway beer into craft brews...

For what it's worth, I reached out to the brewmaster at Red Oak about the recipe and here's what he had to say:

"You are looking at a recipe calling for german lager yeast, 75% dark munich malt, 25% pilsner malt, and 20 IBU of spalt, tettnang and saaz hops. Ferment at 45 F for 10 days and lager at 30F for 6 weeks. CO2 level of 2.6 volumes."

I wouldn't call it a recipe necessarily but at least its another step toward it. I know they use Weihenstephan yeast also, I would assume either WLP820 or WLP830.

I am a big fan of their beers also. I had a Vienna Lager by them this evening that I hadn't seen before called Big Oak that was very tasty. It was a 7% vienna that they say was brewed as a bock.

Cheers and good luck :mug:

We lived about 300 yards from the Spring Garden brew pub in 1996. Red Oak was fantastic then. Something changed and it lost something in transition to a distribution product.
I'll bet it was a 4 % ABV beer back then. Loaded with fresh Munich malt flavor, very lightly hopped and lightly carbonated.

I've been working on this recipe since I moved! This is where I am so far getting closer but not quite there yet!
5 gallon batch
6lb Munich malt
4lb Munich #2
1lb Caramunich
1.88oz spalt select (3.2% aa)
Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Lager #M76

Latest posts

Back