Look this recipe over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomek322

Reaction score
1/2# vienna
1/2# crystal muntons i think they are 60L
6# Wheat DME
1oz Hallertau or tettnanger(havent gone shopping yet.)
Liquid Hefe yeast(haven't gone shopping yet to know specific brand)

Steep grains in 2 quarts 160 water for 30minutes
remove grains add extract
Bring to boil add hops 60 minutes...
Bring to 80F mix with cold water to 5gallons pitch yeast...

Anyways... I have the grains from another recipe, so i thought I would use them. what can I expect my OG to be? How can I calculate this?

Would you guys recommend adding other grains? Some wheat possibly. Is the 60L too dark for this recipe?

I don't see a problem with that recipe at all, go for it, maybe edging toward a dunkelweizen more so than a hefeweizen with the addition of the 60L crystal, but I think it would taste great.

You'll find this web page very useful for estimating OG, bitterness, and color:

http://hbd.org/recipator/

Click on the spreadsheet link, input your ingredients and there it all is. (Sometimes it is a bit slow)

EDIT: Actually that small amount of 60L Crystal won't darken that up too much, probably to the darker end of the hefeweizen range, too light and not enough 'character' malts for a dunkelweizen.

Been on the recipe page on that website... never seen the spreadsheet. really interesting... thanks for the link

You're welcome, I think the spreadsheet is one of the best homebrewing internet resources available.

Latest posts

Back