Long Term Hop Storage Planning / Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoitte

Reaction score
I currently have third year hops growing however the backyard they're in right now is not accessible and while I would like to hope they would go unharmed, I can't trust that the current tenant won't damage/remove them. Is there any chance I can pull the rhizome/roots out of the ground say within the next month or so, and keep/preserve them out of soil for months on end until I can replant them in my future backyard that I'll have access to this summer?

I would say dig them up and put them in a cheap pot with soil. I think that would be your best bet and the sooner you can get them in the ground in the spring, the better.

I would say dig them up and put them in a cheap pot with soil. I think that would be your best bet and the sooner you can get them in the ground in the spring, the better.
There's an idea!
  1. Would I want to plant them individually (assuming they're different hops)?
  2. Would I want to water them or just leave them in some loose / healthy soil?
  3. Is it an issue if they sit someplace with little to no sunlight while they're in the temporary pots for a few months?

If they are different hops I would keep them separate and label the pots with painters tap and a sharpie.

I’m not sure on the watering part, but I would say give it some water after transferring them to the pot and let them sit. I assume you’re in the US and it’s winter time.

Again assuming it’s the winter time where you’re located in a garage should be fine. The hops would be dormant during this time so the lack of sunlight shouldn’t be an issue.

If it’s during their growing season then you would want them to have sunlight and keep them watered.

I hope this helps!

Always prune in the winter.. with any fruit bearing. I just bought hops or pre-ordered, where I will receive rooted cuttings, choice is keep them cool or plant them in POTTING soil if going into pots and take care of them until they are ready for their new home, which should be after last freeze (if you get one) or early spring to acclimate to the new home, bearing in mind direct sun and shaded how the potted life was.
IE., Grapes have no green leaf left I will now prune back for spring to do her thing, and bring me grapes for summer's end. Do not be afraid to prune back, but when pruning sterilize as if you were doing surgery on yourself.
Mulch base helps regulate moisture. Be advised potted plant life fluctuates more then in ground life. SO hotter days are hotter roots in pots.

Back