Long lag time Bry 97.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
Why the long lag time with the West Coast style dry yeast strains?
If I use US-04 I usually get a roaring fermentaion within 12 hours, but with any of the chico strains, i.e US-05 and in the case of my current 5 gallon batch using BRY-97, it seems they take forever to get going. The batch showed some slow air lock movement after a day and now 2 days later it's going nicely but that's a long time.

Did you rehydrate it? Did you use one pack or two? When I use dry yeast (which I actually prefer for convenience) it can take 2 days to see airlock activity even when I rehydrate the yeast before pitching. If I'm antsy and have an extra pack, I will rehydrate two packs for 5 gallons of wort and it usually takes off in about 24 hours. Be patient, as long as it eventually starts fermenting, you are good.

Bry 97 takes forever. It turned out OK but no better than US-05. I won't use it again. BTW a repitch on a yeast cake took off like a rocket. And yes I rehydrate. Literally took 48+ hrs the first time, adequately pitched and properly rehydrated.

It seems there are several dry yeasts that take their time getting started, whether rehydrated or not. I've had lags of over 48 hours with some. I don't think I've ever had a lag over 36 hours with a liquid yeast. However, for any brew I've ever done I have never found anything detrimental to the final product that was attributable to a long lag time. In other words, I just don't sweat it anymore.

It seems there are several dry yeasts that take their time getting started, whether rehydrated or not. I've had lags of over 48 hours with some. I don't think I've ever had a lag over 36 hours with a liquid yeast. However, for any brew I've ever done I have never found anything detrimental to the final product that was attributable to a long lag time. In other words, I just don't sweat it anymore.

I'm not sweating it as my batches turn out well too but was more curious as to why this particular yeast takes time.
I found this too: http://brulosophy.com/2015/06/01/safale-us-05-vs-danstar-bry-97-exbeeriment-results/

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

I have used BRY 97 quite a bit and long lag times are the normal if you are pitching from the package, rehydrated or not. When I reused about 1/3 of the prior yeast cake it almost always takes of in 12 hrs. When I used us 0-5 it took off in 24 or less. The us05 will make a little bit more alcohol than the BRY 97 but I think the flavor of the Bry 97 is cleaner with less off flavors. The us 0-5 is preferred by many with fermentation chambers and they tend to hold the temp to 66 to 68 for clean flavors and a strong hop flavor.:)

Last edited:
Back