Long Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristophelr

Reaction score
Hey all. I just brewed an all grain bock. The OG was sbout 1.061. It has been in the primary for several days longer (5 days) than any batch i've made before, and it is still working..... Aggessively. Is this OK? Or should i be concerned?

It's doomed. Kidding... yeast don't have a calendar and go by their own schedule. Without knowing any more facts... I'm sure it's fine. Is the temperature stable? and how high is it?

Total of 5 days in primary. I'm pretty new to brewing, but all my others stopped fermenting aggressively in roughly 3 days. Just curious if i did something wrong or if that sort of difference in fermentation times is normal

Temperature is stable maybe a degree of 2 fluctuation. My basement is around 69 degrees.

Temperature is stable maybe a degree of 2 fluctuation. My basement is around 69 degrees.

Well, 69 degrees ambient is pretty warm for most beers, so I'm guessing that your bock is an ale, not a lager?

In any case, yeast LOVE warm temperatures and go crazy when the fermenting temperature is warm. I'm guessing that the faster fermentation times happened when the temperature was a bit warmer? But in most cases, slow and steady makes better tasting beer.

For most ales, 65-68 degrees (beer temperature, not ambient) is ideal. An active fermentation produces heat, and I've seen fermenting beer temperatures be 10 degrees above ambient temperatures. In a "hot" ferment, the fermentation will go very fast. I'd do my best to keep the fermenter at 65-68 and not worry about it. Leave it sit where it is for at least two weeks!

Hey all. I just brewed an all grain bock. The OG was sbout 1.061. It has been in the primary for several days longer (5 days) than any batch i've made before, and it is still working..... Aggessively. Is this OK? Or should i be concerned?

Should be fine. Leave you beers in the primary longer though. Minimum of two weeks, no reason to rack before this. I shoot for three weeks and temps in the mid 60's for ales. Bocks are lagers so if you were looking for that "style" you probably not going to get it at your temps. Still could be a great beer though!

Back