Long fermentation and clearing stage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a unfiltered cider recently that was very good - probably one of the best I've ever tasted. The brewer stated that he keeps the fermented cider on the lees for 45 days, and only racks it once before letting it age. I'm wondering if other cider makers here have done something similar? My only attempt at cider making, one that turned out very well, involved a standard process of 2-3 week fermentation, a secondary fermentation (both in glass) followed by several months of aging in corny kegs. My cider was good; his better than good. I suspect that there are other factors involved, such as aging in wood barrels or clay containers, but the 45 day schedule was intriguing.

Thank you. Something to look into after my move and when the new brewery is up and running.

Definitely give it a shot! Sur lie aging is completely optional, but is worthwhile if you aren't in a hurry. In addition to sur lie aging, you can also use "battonage" which translates to "using a stick" in French. This is just stirring of the sediment in the carboy (using a sterile implement, preferably) to increase yeast autolysis in order to get more complexity from the sur lie aging.

Here's a good read on the subject: https://blog.jordanwinery.com/batonnage-an-old-world-winemaking-technique-preserved-each-winter/

Back