Long "conditioned" wine - should I bottle now or resume instructions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TungstenBeer

Reaction score
In November (2016), I started a wine kit from Cellar Craft - their showcase series Rosso Fortissimo. It was my second batch of wine. The first one turned out great, same series.

The directions of the kit are roughly as follows:

Day 1: Mix/primary fermentation until day 12 at appropriate temperature (I have a temperature controller that holds within half a degree)
Day 12: Transfer to secondary in an area 66F to 75F (mine is set at 68F)
Day 22: Add potassium sorbate, stir, add kieselsol, stir, add chitosan, stir, finish degassing
Day 42-44: Bottle

The problem is, the "****" above is where I stopped doing anything because life happened. However, as I mentioned, the wine has been kept in the same carboy at 68F for over a year so I am confident it's still good.

My question is, what do I do now? Do I need to add all these chemicals now (which supposedly aid in clearing) and plan to bottle in 20 days? Or should the wine be clear enough to where I can just rack to a bottling bucket and bottle? What if the wine is not degassed enough (because I really don't remember how much I degassed it back then)?

Thanks!

Let your eyes and taste guide you. If it is clear no need to do the day 22 step. The sorbate is to keep the yeast from kicking in. No need to worry about that after this much time. The rest is meant to rush clarity. Time will have done that (I’m sure) for you.

Thanks. I hadn't really considered the extra yeast in there. Think that could be a problem?

And if it's not fully degassed, is there any reason I shouldn't just do that in a bottling bucket?

I NEVER use those finings or sorbate in my wine. I don’t want sorbate (hate the taste) or shellfish in my wines, as I have friends who are vegan and wouldn’t expect wine to contain shellfish so I simply leave them out.

The wine should be degassed by now, after all the time sitting.

I NEVER use those finings or sorbate in my wine. I don’t want sorbate (hate the taste) or shellfish in my wines, as I have friends who are vegan and wouldn’t expect wine to contain shellfish so I simply leave them out.

The wine should be degassed by now, after all the time sitting.

Thank you! Can I ask what you do in lieu of using those finings? I’m sure it depends, but if a “rule of thumb” would be to condition a wine for 3 months then I have no problem doing that.

Thank you! Can I ask what you do in lieu of using those finings? I’m sure it depends, but if a “rule of thumb” would be to condition a wine for 3 months then I have no problem doing that.

I use the sulfites in all my wines, using 50 ppm or so, but otherwise I don't add finings or sorbate or degas. Well, I do degas any kit wines I make if they aren't sitting around long enough to naturally degas, but otherwise I don't use additives except for the sulfites.

BUT- I don't like sweet wines. If I was sweetening a wine, sorbate would be a requirement.

Thanks for the help everyone. The wine was perfectly clear, completely degassed (I still don't remember if I did it originally back in 2016 or not, though), and tastes great. A wonderfully dry-but-not-too-dry wine with an amazing stone fruit taste. Onto batch #3!

Now I just need a wine rack that can hold a ton of bottles...

Latest posts

Back