London Fog (wlp066) with a wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_k_8

Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but wondering what people think of using London Fog yeast with a wheat beer?

currently brewing a neipa using London Fog and this is the first brew I’m doing in my new catalyst fermentation system. one of the pros of this fermenter is the ease with which I can harvest and reuse the yeast. But, the next beer I want to brew after the neipa is a watermelon wheat. Would it be too weird to use the london fog in that?

Well I'd assume WLP066 is non-phenolic so it won't give you the classic yeast flavours of a German hefeweizen, it will be closer to the Blue Moon kind of US wheat beer. If that's what you want, then go for it.

This might be a silly question, but wondering what people think of using London Fog yeast with a wheat beer?

currently brewing a neipa using London Fog and this is the first brew I’m doing in my new catalyst fermentation system. one of the pros of this fermenter is the ease with which I can harvest and reuse the yeast. But, the next beer I want to brew after the neipa is a watermelon wheat. Would it be too weird to use the london fog in that?
If you haven’t used watermelon before I just want to give you a heads up. Watermelon has far more water content than most fruits, so just be sure to plan you’re grainbill accordingly and up the og by 10 points to account for the additional water volume in the watermelon

But, the next beer I want to brew after the neipa is a watermelon wheat. Would it be too weird to use the london fog in that?
I used London Fog for 4 batches(1st gen then 3 2nd gen batches). It wouldn't be weird in a watermelon wheat. In fact, it would probably be great. You wouldn't get the phenolic flavors as NB said but you wouldn't want that if you're shooting for watermelon flavors coming through. I used it in a couple hazys and a couple pale ales. I didn't find the yeast kicked off a ton of esters.

Thanks everyone! I’ll be brewing this in next couple weeks so I’ll give an update later once it’s ready!

Update on my watermelon wheat:

I tried one last night after a little over a week in the bottle and it’s pretty damn good!

I used the extract American wheat kit from NB, with an extra lb of wheat DME, 2nd generation WLP066 yeast, added 6 cups fresh pressed watermelon juice after primary and let the sugars ferment out before bottling.

OG 1.053
FG 1.012

unfortunately I broke my hydrometer and did not get to measure how much the watermelon juice affected it, so I’m just going with these measurements which puts it just under 5.4%

Back