LODO yeast performance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real take-a-way here is just get rid of all sulfites post boil and none of it applies.

The real take-a-way here is just get rid of all sulfites post boil and none of it applies.
For someone just starting out and working out the process on their systems, what would you say is the best way to make sure you're doing this correctly? Sulfite testing strips? A DO meter to ensure that the O2 you're adding to oxygenate isn't still be scavenged? A combination of both?

Thanks!
Dan

This is purely from my experience but sulfite strips are invaluable for this particular question. Oxygen meters are great but don't tell you if you have residual sulfites.

I am still dropping my ppm down every brew because I still have residual sulfites post boil and chilling. This is based on strip tests. I am down to 15 or so ppm and still have positive tests on the strips so heading towards sub 10 for next brew.

It takes 1ppm of oxygen to expend 5ppm sulfites.
So residual sulfite is independent on dose and process.

Let’s say you had 10ppm sulfites left over. It would take 2ppm of o2 to get rid of them. Now your wort would be at 0, and you would have to add another 8ppm or so.

Back