LMEm vs DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
Due to soe of the comments regarding the extract tang or twang that people associate with LME, I have to ask the question - what do you prefer DME or LME?

Does one produce clearly better beers? Is the twang only noticeable in LME? Is the twang only a factor with old LME, would fresh LME produce any of these flavours?

My first couple of brews were from kits where DME was supplied, but since I have been trying to concoct my own beers, I have bee exclusively using LME due to it's better value and the fact that I find it easier to handle.

Do any of the experienced brewers here use LME?

This is really nagging at me now, but if DME= better beers, I will suffer the price difference and develop some techniques for handling it (maybe disolving it in water pre dumping it in the kettle...)

Cheers

I dont really like LME because I feel that they make a beer darker, I hve never Exp. Taste problems but Brewing a Lager with LME it seems it makes it to dark for my tastes Im a freak about making beers the right color there supposed to be, I would suggest DME and Steeping or PM and DME.

I prefer DME but use both. I have found DME cheaper, I can store what I dont use, and there is no real risk of burning it on the bottom of the kettle. I have read that it has a better shelf life too. The way it clumps up when exposed to the water vapor is a pain. As for taste- I cant say that my palette (sp?) can discriminate between the two. For my- the amount and type of steeping/PM grains used is a bigger variable.

DME has no liquid. Doesnt burn. Ages better. I only use the light DME and use specialty grains to get to my color. From my experience most extract brews do the same.

I usually use both and do a late addition with the LME so it's less likely to develop color and/or burn. They've both got their merits and their flaws, but I will say that I've never personally experienced any off flavor from LME. Then again, I don't buy LME way in advance, so I trust that it's pretty fresh.

If you want to buy in bulk, go with DME. It stores much better and takes up less space.

oguss0311 said:
I prefer DME but use both. I have found DME cheaper, I can store what I dont use, and there is no real risk of burning it on the bottom of the kettle. I have read that it has a better shelf life too. The way it clumps up when exposed to the water vapor is a pain. As for taste- I cant say that my palette (sp?) can discriminate between the two. For my- the amount and type of steeping/PM grains used is a bigger variable.

Cheaper? Really? Where do you get it? My local shop nicks me a tenner for each three-pound bag of the dry stuff, but the wet stuff is two and a quarter a pound. I've been using it because it's cheaper.

Except when making a pilsner or very pale beer, in which case you pretty much have to go DME.

I've heard extracts can develop strange oxidation flavors if they sit too long. I don't know. I've never brewed an all-extract beer, or rather not since I was 18, and I'm told steeping grains take care of that problem.

Cheers!

--Finn

Finn said:
Cheaper? Really? Where do you get it? My local shop nicks me a tenner for each three-pound bag of the dry stuff, but the wet stuff is two and a quarter a pound. I've been using it because it's cheaper.

Except when making a pilsner or very pale beer, in which case you pretty much have to go DME.

I've heard extracts can develop strange oxidation flavors if they sit too long. I don't know. I've never brewed an all-extract beer, or rather not since I was 18, and I'm told steeping grains take care of that problem.

Cheers!

--Finn

Same for me DME is 10.00 and 3 lbs of LME is 7.00 Gotta love the price of AG :D

Latest posts

Back