LME vs. DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammer

Reaction score
My LHBS only had LME but i had a recipe thats called for DME. The guy said that its not a one to one substitution. So if i wanted to replace 1 pound of DME with LME how much would i use? 1.5 lbs?

Also, does anyone know the volume measure of DME and LME by weight? like cups/lb?

Finally, is it a bad idea to open a can of LME use half and then cover it and use the other half a week later?

thanks

As far as the last question goes, you might get varying opinions here. I think you would be ok treating it like any other opened "foodstuff". Air tight container, lid. Refridgerated. Some guys buy LME in bulk and use it up over time so you should be ok for the short period of time you are talking about.

loop

One week is no concern. LME does oxidize slowly and there are a few molds that will grow on it, but many LHBS have LME sitting around in barrels for months without a problem. The Oak Barrel in Berkeley, CA has seven or eight 55 gallon drums of extracts lined up on stands. It a subtle way of letting people know they're into brewing.

Jam,

20% difference,
DME is dried and without water weight,
therefore DME is stronger by 20%.

Knife

Back