lme question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat1

Reaction score
new to this so beer with me. i ordered the summer wheat kit from aih. loved it. now trying a mutton can kit.
But my local hardware store has all its brew stuff on sale foe 20% off. So a can of lme is about 15 bucks. but the cans are only 3.3 lb? my summer wheat kit had 6 lb of lme in it. they also sell specialty grain and such there and hops. so my questions is ..... if i want to make a 5 gal batch would i need 2 cans of the lme? if so im better off just getting the kits. i can get a kit for $23 bucks with the grains, lme, and hops.
im sure its like anything else you get what you pay for and some batches and kits will cost more than others, im just trying to wrap my head around 30 for jsut the malt compared to 23 for a kit with everthing.

2 cans of extract for the average gravity ale. 6lb to 7lbs is fine. If the kits are something you like & are cheaper you could do that as well. and I assume you mean Munton's.

ya sorry Muntons hopped can kit. it was cheap and a buddy said they taste good.
So even at the 20% off i will have 30 bucks just in extract and still need grains and hops.

next question. Is a pound of lme the same as a pound of dme? i mean i know one is dry and one is liquid but are they equal pound for pound?

There are usually about 36 ppg LME per lb and 45 pts DME per lb. Muliply LME by 0.8 to get the equivalent DME, multiply DME by 1.25 to get equivalent LME.

Latest posts

Back