LME aftertaste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerFan21

Reaction score
I am working on my first weissbier/wheat beer recipe, and after reading some threads I am still unclear if there is a distinct advantage to going all DME...

I have also read and heard that there is a distinct aftertaste to using LME - that may be avoided by going all DME.

Does anyone have an opinion on this that they wish to share?

My recipe so far:

6 lb German Weizenmalt syrup
.5 lb 40L German CaraWheat (steeped)
.5 lb 15L Crystal Malt (steeped)
1oz Hallertau or Centennial hops (60 min/45 min boil respectively)
3068 Weihenstephan Wyeast Activator

Cheers!

The more you read about homebrewing, the more you'll come across the term "twang". It normally refers to the afterbite that liquid extract produces.

Dried extract doesn't have that carmelized twang and is generally a cleaner taste.

BMuncher hit it on the head... When I brewed extract I preferred the use of DME and think I still got a twang every now and then when I brewed lighter, lower hopped beers, but it could as well been another off-taste due to other conditions. My palate wasn't so developed as an extract brewer...

In any case, I think you are pretty safe from 'twang' of extract if brewing darker beers with roasty grains or hoppier beers. Either of those seems to mask any identifiable twang pretty well in my experience...

The safest way though... is... to... go... ALL-GRAIN! My (and many others') best move yet... :)

EDIT: Not to mention, AG is the best way to brew light (as in color) beers... late extract works a bit too, but I've never brewed beers as light (in color) as my AG beers while doing extract batches...

I've heard of it but never experienced any appreciable difference between liquid and dry extract in terms of flavor. Assuming that it exists (and not everything you read on the internet is true), my failure to notice it could be the result of several factors. First, most of my beers are pretty heavily hopped, and this might drown out the twang. Second, it is said that late malt additions tend to reduce scorching and caramelizing, and that the twng is really the taste of slightly caramelized malt, and liquid malt, apparently being heavier than water, sinks right down to the bottom of a hot boil where it can scorch easily. Dry seems to float, thus reducing the chances of scorching.

So be vigilant in stirring in your liquid extract when you add it to the boil, and don't feel as though it has to spend the full 60 minutes boiling.

I have been trying to figure out that taste in my brews. Currently I use LME and have been getting that twang. Thanks for asking the question!

I've noticed that twang in most of my LME based beers except for ones with LME wheat.

I'm hoping its gone now that I've started planning my recipes out with DME only and gettin color and flavor from 2-5lb mini mashes.

Latest posts

Back