Little 1 gal kegs.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
The guy I got the kit from gave me a tap for these and Im thinking about buying a couple of the kegs. My question is, Do I still prime with sugar for these, or is it different because i will be using CO2 to pressurize it.

Tophe96 said:
The guy I got the kit from gave me a tap for these and Im thinking about buying a couple of the kegs. My question is, Do I still prime with sugar for these, or is it different because i will be using CO2 to pressurize it.

If they are the 5 L kegs then you want to prime with 1/3 the amount of priming sugar and then let them carbinate for about 3 weeks then tap the keg, let the Carbination run the tap when thats finished then add a co2 (16 gram i believe) to do the rest!

What is the pressure rating on the kegs?

What compact0007 describes is pretty much "cask conditioning", You could go that route, or, if your kegs can hold 30PSI or so, you could carbonate from a CO2 tank if you want. I prefer that method because you don't get yeast settling out in the keg and it's faster. Also, you get more uniform carbonation throughout the pouring life of the keg.

But both will work with slightly different results.

alright, im not sure of the pressure rating on them..I havent bought one yet, but I'll keep that in mind when I do it. They might be 5 L kegs....theyre pretty small.

It's a crying shame that the local hbs here in the US sells these kegs for $15.00 (empty) when you can get them in Germany for 8 Euros (filled) or for 3.50 empty from a hbs.

I have 14 of them and wish I had more.

Back