Literally cooked my lager yeast, can I pitch more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I made a Schwarz, I repitched the 2124 I used to ferment a Dortmunder, put it on temp control in a water bath to raise the temp to 50 in case it fell below. After 5 days fermentation, I was messing with the temp control (ranco) and changed the setting from heat to cool. Well, it couldn't cool it because it was plugged into a bucket heater, but it doesn't know what it's running, and it kept the bucket heater running all day.

Came home from work to find that the temp was 128. I cooled it back down (and cooled myself down) and took a gravity reading. It is at 1.028, and actually doesn't taste bad. This was going to be a great Schwarz. I am so pissed I screwed this beer up.

Could I pitch some new 2124 into it to get it from 1.028 down to the 1.010 area I was going for? Or, should I just pitch some English Ale yeast into it, and still have my 10 gallons of beer (though not Schwarz) I slaved over for an entire brew day?

I'd say you could go for either the 2124 or the ale yeast... the ale yeast won't be so bad because there won't be very much fermentation occurring so it won't throw off a ton of ale yeast flavors.

Thanks, guys. So, if I pitch ale yeast would it still have that Schwarz character? I guess I am wondering what flavors either yeast would impart on the finished product.

Well what was the OG? If 1.028 is about 2/3 of expected attenuation then you probably won't even notice the ale yeast.

Also, what English ale yeast are we talking about? If it's Nottingham then I'd say most definitely go with that. It's a beast, alcohol tolerant, neutral, and works well in the 50's

When I checked gravity yesterday it was at 1.028 after 5 days at 50F. Today, I noticed a bubble move very slowly out of the airlock. Do I wait? Check gravity again today or tomorrow? I got my hands on some US-04. Pitch it now anyway?

Let me know, and thanks in advance.

Back