Lite beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hey all. Could you point me towards a really good tasting lite beer recipe. I see the Miller Lite one everywhere however I personally do not like Miller Lite at all. More of a Genny Light fan. But mostly interested in a lite flavorful beer, TIA.

Iceman

Found this question searching the term "Lite". I'm wanting to try brewing a light beer. I found Lagunitas DayTime in a mixed 12 pack last week and really enjoyed it. Nice hoppy flavor. 93 calories and only 3 carbs.

It's a hard style to brew and not generally worth the trouble unless you just want the challenge, (and there's nothing wrong with that) One of the guys in my local HB club is going through the list of BJCP styles and recently made an American light lager and brought it to the last meeting. He did a good job. I think he said it was 80% pilsner malt, 20% rice, original gravity was something like 1.040, and 13 IBU of German hops probably Hallertau, and he used Schell's yeast. I don't know what the Wyeast or White Labs number is, the descriptions just said something like the largest and oldest brewery in Minnesota and that's Schell's.

This turned out really well;
5 gallon, mash efficiency 70%
8#6oz 2-row (I use Gallatin Valley malt)
2# flaked rice
20g Hallertau Mittelfrüh @60min
Mash 149F 90min
2 pk WLP840 direct pitch at 45F, free rise to 50F
OG 1046
FG 1008
At 3 weeks, brought it out into the kitchen for a week (65F) then kegged, put back into 50F for a week, then 33F for 2 months.
That's what I followed but I hit 85% mash efficiency and hit an OG of 1056 and still got it down to 1008. I made this for my wedding, all 5 gallons were gone in an hour. I only managed to get one bottle, and I admit, that I will be making this every year for summer.

I was going to hijack this thread seeing that the OP @Iceman6409 hasn’t been seen on HBT for 18 months. I think I'll start a new one to keep a record of what I would like to accomplish that has a more searchable title. Light or Lite hoppy beer recipe process

I want to make something like DayTime. They did an interesting write up on it here.

Last edited:
Back