Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEndorf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting mixed communication.
Has White Labs and Omega re-started production?
Looking forward to liquid yeast availability again..

I don't know anything about Omega, but when did White Labs cease production?

Good to know. Thanks.
About a month ago, my LHBS said they were shut down due to the virus.
I'll see if they have inventory.

Chris White said that they never shut down as they were deemed essential. And, he said they should have sanitization figured out too.
Fascinating. And contradicts the information I was given.
Brewers yeast as "essential services"??
Sources?

fwiw, the closest three lhbs's to me - two in MA and one in NH - have all been covered under "essential" from the jump.
Which admittedly seems curious but I'm ok with it ;)

Cheers!

Pretty much nationwide anyone in the alcohol supply chain has been deemed essential (if there are exceptions I'm not aware of them). That includes yeast suppliers. I know Omega shut, but others labs didn't.

Now, that's wholesale, probably doesn't always apply to homebrew shops, and yeast labs may have stopped supplying homebrew quantities.

The way I see it, during quarantine people drink alcohol. So from raw ingredients to breweries to distribution things have to keep shelves stocked. No yeast, no beer (not in the normal sense at least).

Thank you. I look forward to liquid yeast on a starter again. Dry yeast, even properly rehydrated, has never produced the same results for me. WLP001 is NOT the same as Safale 05 despite conventional wisdom.

Latest posts

Back