Liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkshep

Reaction score
Was going to start brewing today, when I realized that my liquid yeast was still in the fridge. The package says to let it warm up for three hours at room temp (72-78 degrees). The instructions say to let it warm at that temp for as long as possible up to 24 hours. Is the only difference is the amount of time it takes to start fermenting? First time using liquid yeast, is there anything else I need to know? Thanks in advance for any help

You don't want too large of a thermal delta between the yeast and the wort you're pitching them into. If you have too large a difference, you'll shock the yeast, which isn't good.

Get the pack up to room temp, break the nutrient pack inside and let it proof.

Personally, I make a starter for my batches, cold crashing it for about 24 hours, then letting it warm up as I'm brewing. By the time I'm ready to pitch, the temperature difference is minimal. Plus, I'm pitching close to the number of yeast cells I need for a batch.

Ok, so as long as it warms up to room temp before pitching it'll be ok? Thank you.

Back