Liquid yeast vs. Dry yeast ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the pro/con sticky and there's a yeast section that will break it down https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

But basically, liquid comes in more strains that can help you make certain styles better but is more expensive and usually requires a starter. Dry yeast is far cheaper but has fewer varieties available and you can almost always pitch directly or with just rehydrating in water.

Both make excellent beer, so it just depends on what kind of beer you're making, how much you want to spend, and how much time you have.

dry = easy but very limited varieties.
liquid = needs starter, but almost limitless varieties.

If you are trying to make a specific style, or a clone...liquid is the way to go. If you just want ale or lager...then dry is cheap and easy.

I am usin my first liquid tomorrow! Have a starter goin right now, just checked and lots of yeasties. My first brew I used an activator pack of Wyeast German Ale and this is White Labs liquid burntons ale

Latest posts

Back