Liquid Yeast Two Part Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
I'm fixing to use a liq yeast on a coffee stout. This will be my first time using liquid and have everything to make the starter, etc..

1. Normally I pitch my dry yeast straight in at around 72 degF, room temp, with success. I'm thinking this temp should be good for liq as well. Thoughts?

2. I'm brewing Friday so, due to work, will need to make my starter Wednesday evening. Too far in advance? Just right?

Also any tips on starters I'll gladly take. From what I've read & heard, liq is several steps up in making better beer!

I'd make the starter tonight, give it a couple of days to spin, cold crash so you can decant the "beer" off the top.
Not the best tasting stuff, no reason to add it to to your tasty beer.
72F is fine for a starter.

1: I don't like pitching yeast that warm but it is still in the recommended range.

2: I do starters Monday for weekend brew

Liquid is not better than dry. Just different and with more variety. Both need to be managed well to get the most from the product.

There is a bit about starters in my signature below. Might be useful.

Latest posts

Back